Question about a trip to the vets

Thread: Question about a trip to the vets

maedi is offline Member

DefaultQuestion about a trip to the vets

This may be a dumb question but........I am concerned about taking my new puppy the to vets for his second set of shots. I'll be getting him in a few weeks and he'll already have had his first set, but I'm afraid that he might pick something up at the vets while he is there for his second set. Is there any kind of precaution I could take? or am I just too paranoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about a trip to the vets

Im no dog expert by any means but I DO know that things like canine distemper (which my ferrets are HIGHLY susceptibale to...its an immediate death sentence) can be carried into your home on your clothes and shoes (even if you aren't around dogs) I dont know about other illnesses, but with the distemper I know its no more risk to take him to the vets then it is to leave him in the house.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

When Derby was little, I kept him in my lap while in the waiting room, did not let him come in contact with the floor. I suppose idea another is to keep him in the car until his appointment.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Just carry him.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I was concerned too, when I had to take my pup for her 2nd set of shots. I just held her in my lap in the waiting room, and never let her feet touch the floor at all while we were there. (That was a real challenge when we were checking out and I had to write a check for the visit!). So here I am thinking I'm doing the right thing by not letting her down on the floor, and the vet comes out and says "Can't she walk?" I was a little surprised by that, because most everyone I spoke to before the visit advised to NOT let her down on the floor!

mama2pebbles is offline Member

I carried Pebbles from the cat into the vet office and she sat on my lap. At her last puppy shots she weighed 27.2 lbs........the receptionist said this will be the last time you'll have to carry her. I had a big smile on my face and said YES thank God!!!!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I do think you are being overly paranoid. Just carry the pup.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I think it's smart to consider these things and you are doing your due diligence which is good. But, you have to weigh the risks with the advantages. Your puppy needs to see the vet and get his shots.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE