Heartguard Shot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartguard Shot

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeartguard Shot

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new here, and a first time puppy owner. My little Lab girl is 3 months old, and I love her to pieces. The breeder I got her from advised to NEVER EVER give her the Heartguard shot, as it has been known to cause cardiac arrest in some dogs. I would appreciate some feedback on this, as I am hearing conflicting sides regarding this. The vet doesn't seem worried about it, the breeder is dead set against the shot!
    She said they do make tablets that are given once a month, so I am waiting for her response to my question if the tablets are okay, and if it just the SHOT that is dangerous. In the meantime, I thought I would see what you guys think. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heartguard Shot

Listen to your breeder. DO NOT GIVE THE SHOT!!!!

Laura

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Are you talking about Proheart? Do not give it. It was supposed to have been pulled.

http://www.wusa9.com/printfullstory.aspx?storyid=36753

http://www.oes.org/page2/1459~FDA_HA...ROHEART_6.html

I don't believe Heartguard comes as an injectible, only in tablet form.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

NO SHOT. Listen to your breeder.

Go with the monthly oral.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Thanks. It can be a little confusing, and since I am first time dog owner, all of this is new to me. My gut says to follow the breeder's advice. She knows her dogs and she knows LABS. Not to take anything away from vets. It just baffles me that there can be 2 VERY different opinions. I was surprised that the vet was so nonchalant about it, while the breeder was so very adamant about NOT giving the Heartguard shot!! I will trust the breeder.

georgie is offline Senior Member

My old vet wanted to give our last lab that shot...good for six months. I said no. I believe it has been pulled since it caused problems in dogs. I give Interceptor once a month.

Listen to your breeder.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Most vets stopped using the shot a few years ago. Go for Interceptor or Heartguard depending on what area of the country you're in.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

This won't be the first time the vet is wrong. Unfortunately, while they are trained not all are well-versed in dogs or even in specific breeds. Don't listen to their food advice either. Don't be afraid to do your own research on the web...so much info is available on dog health. Get a reference book for your home. It's good you asked your breeder about that shot, and it's good you questioned it here.

In life or death situations always go to your vet, but in other issues, you need to be involved and figure things out. Maybe I am just jaded because I have had vets talk me into things that I have felt differently about, only to later be proved right. I had a vet tell me he HAD to check one of my labs for Lyme and other auto-immune diseases because Maddy had a swollen wrist. I knew it was an injury from stress. He scared me into $1000 worth of tests, and turns out Maddy had a stress injury and Lyme wasn't even prevalent in So. Cal and we had never taken her to where deer ticks live....

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula
    Thanks. It can be a little confusing, and since I am first time dog owner, all of this is new to me. My gut says to follow the breeder's advice. She knows her dogs and she knows LABS. Not to take anything away from vets. It just baffles me that there can be 2 VERY different opinions. I was surprised that the vet was so nonchalant about it, while the breeder was so very adamant about NOT giving the Heartguard shot!! I will trust the breeder.
    With all respect to the vets and their education, don't forget that they also "sell" the product (vaccines, preventatives, etc.)
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

mama2pebbles is offline Member

I rarely have a problem with fleas but when I have I use Advantage a topical flea treatment on the dogs 4-5 days after a bath so the natural oils build back up. And avoiding any type of water (river, lake ocean...) for 4-5 days after.
    Some topical treatments penetrate through the skin and get absorbed and in time like the shot or oral flea treatments can cause problems internally (kidney, liver...) It might take years but why take the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast