Food - quantity

Thread: Food - quantity

jessiesmama is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood - quantity

At 14 months old how many times a day does your lab eat and how much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food - quantity

Twice a day is fine at this age. How much they eat is very dependent on what you feed (how many calories are in the food and how digestible it is) and how active your dog is. Jes eats about 3 cups a day, and has for most of his adult life...but he's also pretty active.

*edit to add:

Bob's post made me realize it may be helpful if I post the caloric density of Jes's food which is 368 kcals/cup (3,708 kcal/kg). I also forgot to mention that the dog's metabolism also plays a huge roll.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff (63 lbs, 5 yrs old) is VERY active and eats 2.25-2.33 cups/2X day of 342 kcal food (Kirkland C&R)

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider is very active and gets 1c two times a day of Innova EVO...(high calorie food with no grains)
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

For me, activity level is the big decider on how much to feed. Most people have different ideas of what "active" means. From what I have seem, the majority of pets come under the category of moderately active...that means about an hour or so of activity a day. I consider a very active dog to be one that gets several (2-3+) hours of hard activity every day. My own dogs fall somewhat between 'moderate' and 'very' active, getting around 2 hours of physical activity a day. Of course, each day is different, so some days they get more or less. I always adjust the amount I feed accordingly.

jessiesmama, how much are you feeding now, what are you feeding and how much exercise does your dog get on a daily basis?

My own dogs get either 3 cups of kibble or 2lbs of raw.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I feed 2x a day. Sami get 1 1/4 cups of Honest Kitchen Embark at each meal ~ 2 1/2 cups a day. It's a whopping 729 calories/cup. She almost always gets a loaded Kong or several cookies during the day, too. I do also feed raw meals several times a week. I don't have a big lab -- she weighs in around 57 lbs.