A neutering question

Thread: A neutering question

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultA neutering question

Well, obedience classes start a week from today (actually just the orientation does, he doesn't actually start til the 19th). He'll be 6 months on April 4th. The class doesn't end until May 21st. He'll almost be 8 months. I originally thought we'll just wait til the class is over then have it done. But I just thought i'd get some opinions first. I mean, I don't want to do it before we start...b/c he'll be younger than 6 months. And i'm hesitant about doing it during class because I don't know how long it takes to completely heal from that...plus that would restrict us from practicing between classes. So I may have answered my question, but I just wanted to get some different viewpoints. Thanks all.

(also, are low cost clinics less safe than vets? Is that a dumb question? I ask because my vet charges 3-4 times what the clinic does...and we had both our cats neutered at the clinic with no problems...and am I bad owner for considering a low cost clinic? QUESTIONS!! ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A neutering question

Waiting until 8 months is no problem many on here actually recommend you wait until 16-18 months to let their growth plates close first and let them fill out.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

for a neuter it doesn't take them that long to heal. The surgery isn't as invasive as it is for females so the males recovery is easier and shorter than females. If your worried about the surgery interring in your work with your pup don't be. He should rest when he is brought home from the vet but other than that, you can still teach, sit, lay or whatever. The most important part of his healing is that he does not exercise too hard or be walked for long distances. He can't jump or stretch that part of his body during recovery. But sit and heal should be ok. But you should neuter when you feel its right for your pup and when your ready! good luck in training
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG

(also, are low cost clinics less safe than vets? Is that a dumb question? I ask because my vet charges 3-4 times what the clinic does...and we had both our cats neutered at the clinic with no problems...and am I bad owner for considering a low cost clinic? QUESTIONS!! ???

hehe you are not a bad owner for considering low cost clinic. If you think the low cost clinic is safe and can do the job right then go a head. No shame in that.
    There's another option. You could go to http://www.friendsofanimals.org/ and get a spay and neuter certificate from them. Only problem with this is not all vets participate in the program. Check it out and see if your vet does or not. Or if another local vet does who isn't part of a low cost clinic. Luckily I was able to use the certificate and it saved me a pretty penny or two when it came to getting Buck neutered. I think it's a great program to help encourage spaying and neutering.

As for recovery time...Buck was able to go back to training class within 2 weeks. The vet used self dissolve stitches and they were gone in like 8 days or so.

Good luck!!! Hope you are able to use the certificate!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would nueter the dog after the class is over...waiting 2 more months isn't going to matter and I would rather not deal with a dog healing and taking him to class (and training at home on your own!).