Vito is NOT well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vito is NOT well

dragona is offline Member

DefaultVito is NOT well

Hi all
    I posted AGES ago about my 4yr old lab Vito who was diagnosed with demodectic mange about a year ago, and we are still at it. He has just finished a second course of Ivermectin injections, 4 in total, spaced 10 days apart.
    His ear tips have been dry and crusty for a good six months, but a couple of months ago they started to bleed, and crust over, then the crusts would fall off, bleed, crust over etc. This has now been going on for too long. Same with the tip of his tail -but that seems to have dried up and is not splitting and spraying blood on the walls any more.

(the white stuff is an arnica/calendula powder to stop the bleeding.)
    Went back to the vet yesterday for the last injection and also to tell her that he sort of has little shivers/spasms when lying on the bed or sofa,I mentioned that he is drinking a little bit more water than usual but not really excessive, he is off his food a little bit, not terribly energetic. I mentioned Addisons but she said no, but anyway blood was taken.
    Apparently all is fine EXCEPT for globulin levels, which are very high -she said indicating a chronic infection somewhere so I have been give a 3week course of antibiotics.

Something does not convince me that this is the answer -I have a horrible feeling that there is something else going on.
    Does anyone have any suggestions????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vito is NOT well

My thinking is that enough time has past in dealing with the problem/condition that you should seriously consider a second opinion.

If you happen to live within a couple hours drive of a veterinary teaching university that would be worth serious consideration. Or maybe find a veterinary dermatologist.

There is definitely something systemic going on there. Vito's immune system seems really compromised.

Have you tried changing Vito's diet to one that has no grain? For instance Innova EVO or Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon; and maybe try adding a teaspoon of flax oil seed (1 teaspoon am and 1 teaspoon pm) to his meals.

The following link has lots of "food for thought" on how diet effects the immune system. The author is a licensed practicing veterinarian and is selling nothing.
    http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id1.html

I hope you find the answer for Veto very soon.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

I am now at my wits end.
    He is being fed Arden Grange Lamb and Rice, and I give him supplements of omega3 fish oil capsules, vit A and E.
    He gets a probiotic yoghurt drink in the morning

He trembles/shivers, and then his shoulders and legs sort of do little tiny spasms, it is difficult to describe.All this while he is on the sofa watching tv, or just lying on my bed.
    The only time he doesn't do it is when asleep.
    He is still eating the exact same quantity of food, just not with gusto as before, so I can't explain the weight loss.

I really do not know what is going on any more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Where do you live? Like suggested above I would try to get him to a Vetranary teaching hospital they are normally very reasonably priced and have more advanced equipment and better diagnostic abilities. I would highly recommend checking it out if there is one within a few hours drive. I hope he gets to feeling better poor boy and poor you. I would try switching foods to something grain free. This website has some options http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

Good luck I hope you find an answer after this long I would get another opinion.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Sorry for rvolting image but I have dilemma -was playing a bit with Vito and these scabs
    have come off AGAIN. It is driving me mad. I'm unsure whether to try and keep the crusts on his ears,(suggestions????) or to let him fling them off and keep letting them scab over again.
    They scab and then a few days later fly off, and we start from new.They look sore, probably are sore, and I am constantly wiping blood spatters off the walls

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I really have to urge you to have Veto seen at a University Veterinary School Clinic. Please, please, for Veto's sake. olice:
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Mybabymambo Guest

Sorry I have nothing to add, but I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon. Sending good thoughts

labby is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Judy. Its time for another opinion. Either at a university or a Veterinary Dermatologist.

Laura

ourmackie is offline Junior Member

I agree with the above poster, try to see a dermatologist. Has your dog been tested for yeast or bacterial infections on the skin? The reason why I ask is because my dog used to get alot of yeast& bacterial infections and your dogs skin , the leg part, (not the ear of the tail) looks alot like my dog. I will try & post a pic later tonight or tomorrow so you can try to compare. Best of Luck with your dog

ourmackie is offline Junior Member

Here is a picture of my dogs leg. It was taken last year. Sorry I couldn't get a good close up of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast