cracked nail, what to do?

Thread: cracked nail, what to do?

guessheiress is offline Member

Defaultcracked nail, what to do?

i searched through the forums some before i posted this but i was just curious about what should i do about a cracked nail? i noticed diva had a nail that was crooked on her front paw so i looked at it and it was cracked in the middle i'm kinda scared to cut it because it seems to be cracked all the way down under her nail to her padding. should i just leave it alone and let if fall off by itself? i don't want to cut it and make it break any worse. she doesn't seem to be limping because of it or anything so i don't think it hurts her. it just looks painful to me! :-X i just clipped the very end of her nail and then i stopped because like i said i don't want to make it worse or bleed by any chance. my mom suggested to just leave it alone and let the nail grow out some and maybe gradually cutting it down, so do ya'll think i should do that?

i do have to say though that when i do cut her nails she does really good considering it's not one of her top favorite things she'll lay there until i'm done so i never have a problem with getting her to stay to let me do her nails which is a good thing

Diva Sue<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cracked nail, what to do?

I am not an expert but I have had a couple cracked nails on my labs. I would clip a little & make sure there are no ragged edges that could possibly get caught on something & could rip it off. Keep checking it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Your vet could also check it if you are worried.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

my friend has a lab that use to get cracked nails all the time...like every 2 months. Some condition. Anyway, they started the dog on fish oils and he has not had maybe 1 problem in a years time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    I am not an expert but I have had a couple cracked nails on my labs. I would clip a little & make sure there are no ragged edges that could possibly get caught on something & could rip it off. Keep checking it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Your vet could also check it if you are worried.
    thanks for the suggestion! i clipped the tip of her nail last night so it won't get hung on anything. but i think i'm more worried about it than she is haha cause it really doesn't seem to hurt her when she walks and she's not really one to chew on her nails so i don't have to worry about her making it worse. i just get overly spazzy when it comes to her lol as stupid as that might sound ;D but i'm gonna keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected - since you've had a couple cracked nails on your labs how long did it take for their nails to grow back "normal" after the crack?
    Diva Sue<br />

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    my friend has a lab that use to get cracked nails all the time...like every 2 months. Some condition. Anyway, they started the dog on fish oils and he has not had maybe 1 problem in a years time.
    this is like her first cracked nail so this is the only time it's happened so hopefully i wont have to worry about it being a continuing thing - i have heard a lot about fish oils, do you have any clue where your friend got it at? that is something i'd like to start diva on anyways but i don't really know where to look at for it around here.
    Diva Sue<br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't remember an exact time frame but it was awhile, My labs nails seem to grow fast so I was cutting the tips every few days. It does seem to take care it itself. It sounds like you are doing a fine job. Keeping them short & allowing new nail to grow.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

We've had our share of cracked/split nails. I use neosporin on a gauze to saturate the crack and wrap it. I try to keep the wrap on for at least an hour, have to watch the dogs since they want to chew it off. I do this twice a day for 2 or 3 days and the nail will usually fall off on its own. It dulls any discomfort and prevents infection. Hope your dog is okay!

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

he uses 3V by DVM. again, he has a chronic problem though...

fish oil, IMO is one of he best all around supplements...skin, coat, nails, inflammation, heart, etc...especially in humans

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...t-fishoil.html

i started my 1 year old on it, just the other day.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My first Lab, my beloved Bess (1967-81), used to get them often.

Our vet (at that time) said it was caused by her digging in our backyard and gave her many shots of penicillin for it.

One evening, some colleague friends of my wife Char and mine, a child psychiatrist and his wife, came to our home for dinner and Bess, as usual "schmoozed" them.

I commented on Bes's spilt nails and Dave lifted up a paw, sniffed it, and told us she had a fungal infection on her toenails.

THAT was the last straw in the great decision to switch to K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl for Bess's vet needs.

WHEN a child psychiatrist could so quickly identify the problem.........

A course of griseofulvin cured Bess's toe nail condition.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

thanks to everyone that has replied! ;D i'm really going to look into getting Diva started on the fish oil, i always hear good things about it in the forums. also Diva's nail isn't cracked anymore the other night some of her nail was bending even more to the side and i looked at it and the inside of it to see if she had blood coming from her cracked nail and she didn't, so i just ended up cutting off the part that was cracked, luckily it hadn't gotten worse than what it was before i cut it. she was such a baby when i was cutting her nail lol she just doesn't like being made to sit down for more then a couple of minutes she kept wanting to get up and play with her new squeaky toy
    Diva Sue<br />