Anal Glad Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal Glad Question

debbiep is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnal Glad Question

Does anyone know if labs prone to anal gland problems? My lab was treated last week by the vet and again yesterday - both times they were full. Any advise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anal Glad Question

I'm not sure if they are prone to them, but it is not unusual for a Lab to have food sensitivies and anal gland problems are often connected to diet.

What are you feeding your dog?

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Yes.

My older guy had to have his expressed weekly. It didn't matter what we did - food, exercise, what have you- we still had to take him in to the clinic and get it done every damn week. Maverick eventually had what is a fairly new surgery- and had them removed. It's pretty drastic, but having them expressed every week was expensive and time consuming.

Our situation was a bit extreme, though.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Yes.

My older guy had to have his expressed weekly. It didn't matter what we did - food, exercise, what have you- we still had to take him in to the clinic and get it done every damn week. Maverick eventually had what is a fairly new surgery- and had them removed. It's pretty drastic, but having them expressed every week was expensive and time consuming.

Our situation was a bit extreme, though.

Saska had exactly the same problem she is only 18 months old and from 4 months we were at the vets every two weeks to have her anal glands expressed, the vet tried everything, change of food adding more fibre to her diet, in the end he advised us her anal glands were so deep set that we would always have trouble. (and it was costing us a fortune) We had them removed when she was 10 months old and have not looked back since it was the best thing to do in our situation.

lablover is offline Senior Member

We have a mixed collie/shepherd and she has problems. I started her on plain pumpkin about 3-4 years ago and have not had to take her in to have them expressed. She does have food allergies and eats Eagle Holistic with one large heaping tablespoon full of pumpkin each evening feeding. Make sure you get pumpkin ... not pumpkin pie mix.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Problems with anal glands aren't really a Lab thing. Most dogs might suffer from impacted anal glands a couple of times in their lifetime. Impacted anal glands are usually something you see in smaller breeds. Oona would have to have hers expressed every three weeks and all of a sudden the problem stopped. The only thing that changed was I stopped giving her dog biscuts as treats and substituted her dry dog food. Recently I got a little lacks and let people at the dog park give her treats. Last month after 2 years of being problem free she had to have her glands expressed. The vet thinks I'm crazy but I don't have any other explanation.
    Olie

lilydarling is offline Member

Quick question.. how do you know your dog needs his anal glands expressed?
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

how do you know your dog needs his anal glands expressed?
    Butt scooting across the floor, excessive licking of the anal region and a foul fishy smell. If your dog had anal gland problems, you wouldn't miss it -- trust me!

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    how do you know your dog needs his anal glands expressed?
    Butt scooting across the floor, excessive licking of the anal region and a foul fishy smell. If your dog had anal gland problems, you wouldn't miss it -- trust me!
    Boy I'll second that. Oona has never scooted and the last time she had to have them expressed her breath didn't stink, but she was licking herself as if she were digging a trench.
    Olie

paulie is offline Junior Member

I wouldn't say it's a lab thing but something every dog can experience. My lab went 2 years without this problem and then all of a sudden, I was going once a month. I changed his diet and my vet recommended that I get a fiber supplement and that has helped tremendously. I have to take him once in a while but my lab always seems to start walking again at the end of his poop so he never finishes pushing which keeps back the nasty fluid.
    I use Fiber Choice chewable tabs for him in his food by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast