All in one - Fleas and Heartworm Prevent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All in one - Fleas and Heartworm Prevent.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAll in one - Fleas and Heartworm Prevent.

Not sure if this has been posted, but if you have no concern about ticks, this new product could be an option. It was recently approved by the FDA
    http://advantagemulti.petparents.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: All in one - Fleas and Heartworm Prevent.

I am highly skeptical of a topical that can properly prevent against heartworm. Just like the oral that prevents fleas. No thank you. I have treated way too many heartworm positive dogs to "cut corners" and combining treatments.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Sorry but I won't give my dogs anything that hasn't been on the market for at least 5 years. My dogs are not guinea pigs.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

I've been using a topical flea and heartworm medication for several years, I think it's Revolution (probably the same stuff). Admittedly, we're at low risk for heartworm since we're not real "outdoorsy" type people. No problems, however. Don't know if the Advantage is the same or not. Of course I'd listen to the recommendation of the vet on this one.

KLM
    KLM is offline Senior Member

OK, my vet has Jake on Revolution.... is this a "bad" thing? We ARE outdoorsy people.... ???
    <br />[b]SEE MY FAVORITE JAKE PHOTOS HERE: [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathy1976/sets/72157600396116652/[/url

Dani is offline Senior Member

Revolution is only been proven to be 85% effective against Heartworm prevention. I would NEVER do a topical for HW treatment. Not with how much Rider swims in the summer. He's also on it year around. I use Interceptor...and Frontline for fleas and ticks...but not often. I think we actually dose like a total of 3 times from April to October.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

My concern is this...I want the heartworm stuff in Jes's bloodstream, that makes sense. I don't want the flea killer stuff in there. How do medications like this accomplish this, or do both drugs enter the bloodstream?

I probably won't switch just because I don't use Frontline that many months of the year and I'm pleased with Heartgard. Having said that, if it is safe and works, I can see where it would be helpful. Like Labby said, I'm suspicious of new stuff (human and for dogs) and like to see how it pans out on the market for a few years.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I've used Revolution for several years on my cat. No problems.

For the dogs, I stick with Frontline and Heartgard out of habit.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't like combined products that are new. I use Interceptor for heartworm year round & Frontline Plus during the spring & summer months.
    Our old vet wanted to put our last lab on that new Heartworm pill that you give only once in 6 months...I forget the name..... but I was worried about a timed release pill. What if it all enetered the bloodstream at once? It was too new & not proven. It eventually was found to cause problems in some dogs. I just didn't want to take the chance.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We do interceptor here too - it protects against more "types" of worms than heartguard (whipworms for one). With Jake's voracious appetite for animal poop and swimming habits we need all the wormy protection we can get.

I'm assuming a topical heartworm preventitive wouldn't deworm the dog as well, which is one thing I also like about the oral heartworm meds.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast