Stuffing a Kong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffing a Kong

lilydarling is offline Member

DefaultStuffing a Kong

I keep reading about people stuffing their dog's Kongs. Petey has a Kong, and so far, the only thing I've put in it is a dog biscuit.

My questions are, What do you stuff your kongs with, and how much (especially with something soft)?
    If you use yogurt, do you fill it all the way? Or just put a couple of spoonfuls in? Do you put a wad of peanut butter in it, or do you smear the inside of it?

I'm just curious.
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stuffing a Kong

You CAN fill it all the way up to the top but you have to take your dogs diet into consideration. If he is a naturally lean dog, a full Kong won't hurt him. If he is prone to packing on the pounds, filling it half full and (depending on what you put in it) cutting back his regular meals is probably better.

As for what to put in it, well, you can put just about anything in there. The Kong company has some good recipes to try:

www.kongcompany.com

My favorite thing to use is yogurt and bananas. I put a couple of spoonfulls of yogurt in, half a banana and then close the holes with peanut butter. I then freeze it overnight.

sirhobart is offline Member

Our (and Hobart's) favorite kong recipe is non-fat organic plain yogurt mixed with chopped up apples and bananas and then frozen! He loves it and its healthy too! We fill ours up to the top, but he is a lean dog and goes through it pretty fast. We noticed that putting PB in the kong packed on the lbs way too fast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lilydarling is offline Member

Does the yogurt get all messy when it becomes unfrozen? I can just imagine walking into a room with yogurt everywhere lol. Is it more of a "in the crate, outside, or on the kitchen floor" treat?
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

deific Guest

When you guys stuff these things with all these soft foods how do you keep them from leaking all over everything and ruining carpets, sofas, etc.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You freeze them.

They are finished well before they defrost. No mess.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I've used what the other have posted as well as, mashed potatos, mac and cheese, noodles, just freeze them first. Normally it's just a little PB and a larger treat that barley fits in the opening that way she has to work to get to the PB and work to get the treat out.

The only mess she leaves is slobber from all the licking. I normally try to keep it on one of her blankets or on the kitchen floor.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

sirhobart is offline Member

Kongs are a crate only treat in our house and since hobart is super destructo in his crate there is nothing for him to get the yogurt on. The minute he sees the freezer open in the morning he runs as fast as he can for his crate- it is so cute! It makes putting him in the crate so much easier!

clelong is offline Junior Member

We do either peanut butter or the Kong stuff in the can (like cheese whiz). With either one we freeze it first.
    Usually put a couple small treats or bits of his food in then smear the peanut butter to fill the opening.
    Works real well to keep him occupied for 15-20 minutes.....like during our meals.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Here's what I do ~ I put a couple of pieces of kibble in the Kong first. That closes up the small hole. Then I fill with things like left over mashed potatoes, bananas, plain yogurt, apple bits, carrots slices, green beans etc. I usually layer them and might even include a little more kibble somewhere in the layers. Then I will sometimes "seal" them with peanut butter, but it's not necessary. I have a bucket in my freezer and I stack them in there with the large hole up to prevent leaking. She doesn't make a mess with hers -- it's gone in about 20 minutes, long before it defrosts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast