bowel movements

Thread: bowel movements

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

Defaultbowel movements

I have two labs who are both two years old. Each day I am picking up an average of 8-10 piles of poop. My doggy dooley is on overload. Could it be the food? I am currently feeding them Nutro; however, the change doesn't seem to be the cause as they have been making deposits like this before the food change. Is this normal? They are very active in the yard, and my husband and I walk them 3 miles every day. Anyone have suggestions for a quality food that might produce less waste? They were on Science Diet before this. Or is this connected to their youth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

robeec is offline Member

DefaultRe: bowel movements

check the fiber content. anything over 3-4% is probably unnecessary unless the dog's fat. i feed both my dogs nature's variety raw; their poop is less and tightly formed, not smelly and easy to pick-up.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Food would be the more likely culprit. What's available in your area...that's usually the easiest place to start. Do you have access to foods like Innova, Eagle Pack, Diamond, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, Kirkland (Costco food), I hate making lists because there are lots of good foods out there.

Jes usually poops twice a day, after breakfast and after supper. I've actually recently switched to Diamond Chicken and Rice from Eagle Pack Chicken and he's been only going once for the past three days...I'm guessing that will change, I though twice was really low. Either way 4-5 (assuming each of your dogs is going equally) seems pretty high. An awful lot of what you're feeding is not being used. It's really wasting money if you think about it. Chances are, you may be able to feed less of a different food if they're digesting more of it which could save you money (even if it costs more per bag).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'd think about switching if my dogs were going up to 5 times a day. As Nick said, by the sounds of it most of the food is going in one end and out the other.

Can I ask how much you are feeding? and are the stools well formed?

imported_Murphy is offline Junior Member

Murphy is on Canidae and at 9 months old, he's going three times a day on average - solid, healthy bowel movements. It does sound the like the food is sliding on through. Try something that's a little higher end like Innova or Canidae - probably eat less of it so the expense would balance out.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

labbie2 -- which Nutro are you feeding? Max, Natural Choice, or Ultra?

And how many cups/day for each dog? And what do they weigh?

My Puff [YF, AKC field line (competing breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] eats 2 2/3 cups/day divided into 2 meals. (She eats Kirkland C&R, about 362 kcals/cup; no grain in it; 4% fiber.)

I pick up all her poops in Glad thin film sandwich bags. Usually all of them mold to a shape about the size of a golf ball or smaller.

Puff poops just as we start our early morning hour off-leash walk in a nature preserve. She often has another half-way through, sometimes not.

Then around 2 PM, she has another.

That's it.; 2-3 a day.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

Lil is close to 70lbs and Legend is closer to 80lbs. Both are well-defined, so weight is not an issue at this time. If I remember correctly, they are eating Nutro Ultra for large breed dogs. Their stools are very soft but not runny. In fact when picking up after one of them on our walk, the stool tended to fall apart. I live in Mt. Pleasant (Charleston), SC, so I should have no trouble finding some of the brands suggested in the posting. I'll do a slow change over with one of them and see how things go. Thanks for all the help/suggestions.