Split Tail

Thread: Split Tail

imported_ladylabtrainer is offline Senior Member

DefaultSplit Tail

We are watching a friends Lab and she has a very happy tail. The only time it stops wagging is when she is asleep. Somewhere a long the way, she removed the fur and split the tip of the tail. I have tried EMT Gel and that works for about 2 hours and then her happy tail breaks it open again. I've tried to wrap it and with her happy tail, it comes flying off. I was thinking my only option is to wrap it and then braid the extra up her tail and tie it off at the top.
    Anyone ever experience this? How did you get it to heal?
    HRCH UH Benton&#39;s Magnum Opus MH WC (500 point member) September 11, 1994 - May 15, 2007<br />HRCH UH Fowl Play&#39;s Dust Devil (500 point member) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006<br />HRCH UH Benton&#39;s Ria of Opus (1010 and counting)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Split Tail

Those tails are hard to wrap. I used tons of gauze at the tip and then take some Vet Wrap and actaully go all the way up the tail. I found if you just do the tip or just a few inches it will fly right off.

I started out by doing it like this but soon realized I had to go much further up the tail leaving maybe about 5 inches not wrapped.
    Tails are like fingertips, they take a long time to heal over. My girl had the entire cap of skin ripped off the tip of her tail. It got stuck in a automatic slamming door at a hotel. It was a blood bath :-\
    Kim

imported_ladylabtrainer is offline Senior Member

Thanks - I know I will also have to put a cone on her. She is a chewer.

I hope she likes Dark Green vet wrap. ;D
    HRCH UH Benton&#39;s Magnum Opus MH WC (500 point member) September 11, 1994 - May 15, 2007<br />HRCH UH Fowl Play&#39;s Dust Devil (500 point member) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006<br />HRCH UH Benton&#39;s Ria of Opus (1010 and counting)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

well my gal ended up chewing hers off one day too and she ATE it - vet wrap and all!! Ahhhhh!! Thankfully it passed. We got by without the conehead but she was threatened with one!
    Kim

Dani is offline Senior Member

We had a foster dog that had this happen. We had to tape it pretty good too. Good luck!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Someone on here had this problem and used a maxi pad over the tip then taped it up somehow the pad absorbed and blood and kept it dryer. Sorry I've not had any experience though. Maybe do a search.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol