Very concerened for our puppy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very concerened for our puppy...

Bolts21 is offline Member

DefaultVery concerened for our puppy...

Our 7 month old black lab just can't seem to buy a break. Since we've had him at 10 weeks old he has battled 2 ear infections , 1 eye infection, and 3 bouts of pyoderma. Feeling he might have a food intolerance or allergy, we switched him over from Pro Plan to Innova which produced very runny stooles due to the richness. His increased itching made us switch him over to a more hypo allergic food (natural balace duck & potato) which helped his stooles, but after his medication for the pyoderma was finished it's been roughly a week and he again has pyoderma coming back already (fourth time). He was tested for thyroid problems last time at the vet which came back normal, so we're left wondering whats wrong with our puppy? On top of all of this, his nose is a bit swollen looking and the hair just behind the nose is falling out and his eyes are blood shot. He's going into the vet Friday, but I would like to know what you all think based on your experieces and such? We are starting to think it's not food allergies and either an underlying health probelm, or airborne allergies. Thoughts??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Very concerened for our puppy...

Poor guy. I would find out exactly what he's allergic to by both blood and skin allergy tests. Do you have a specialty clinic or vet shool in your area? A dermatologist would be your best bet.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Your story sounds so much like mine I could have swore you were talking about my dog. I would do the blood serum and skin test as well and please make sure your vet did a FULL Thyroid panel!

There has been a couple cases in the past by me that the vet was not testing fully and the one panel he was not running was the one that showed the dog was indeed off on his thyroid.

Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joanesh is offline Junior Member

Poor little guy. Despite his problems, it's sound like you're doing well by him (trying to get at the root of his problems, researching, talking to the vet, doing what you can to eliminate allergens, etc.). It's so difficult to watch our puppies suffer.

Have you talked with your puppy's breeder (if you got him from a breeder)? Most reputable breeders are happy to answer questions about pups from their litters, particularly during a puppy's first year. And, if there's any kind of genetic predisposition to allergies or thyroid issues and such, the breeder will know and may be able to help you sort out the issue.

It's at least worth a phone call.

I wish you well! Let us know what you find out.

Joan, in PA: &quot;Mom&quot; to four fabulous Labs: Ridge (fox-red-yellow 5yo M), Baxter (black 4yo M), Elsie (yellow 3yo F), and Kenya (black 1yo F). Visit our blog, Lab Tails, at http://labtails.blogspot.com

TimC. is offline Senior Member

When you changed his food did you do it over a period of days or immediately?
    Olie

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Just a suggestion but have you thought at all about switching to raw food. Theres a ton of info available and in all my reading many folks with allergic/sick dogs have had amazing results - maybe a holistic vet could help? Good Luck.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

yes, we weened him over a few days. His breeder told me that his lines have no thyroid problems. I'lll keep you posted. Thanks.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolts21
    yes, we weened him over a few days. His breeder told me that his lines have no thyroid problems. I'lll keep you posted. Thanks.
    Well my girls breeder said the same thing.
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Re: the "pyoderma" -- is that from a staph infection on the belly? red bumps, blotches morphing to scabs that look like dirt on the skin?

My Puff gets that and several years ago, I kept taking her back to K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl (where we "vet") and 3X they kept prescribing cephalexin, 21 days. Maybe only 2 weeks between each course and it came back again.

I said "Enough" and asked to see their dermatologist.

She figured that from Puff's daily morning offleash exploring in a nature preserve, she was getting pollen and detritus on her belly and that was causing the rash. She Rx'ed a medicated shampoo to applly daily, leave on 10 minutes then rinse off.

We do that daily until it disappears then do it every other day. Taking Puff swimming to flush off the dust right after the morning run also helps.

That's solved that problem -- possibly it'd work for yours?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Good info.....thanks for the reply! We are awaiting allergy results and hope that they shed a light on his problem. He's been on cephalaxin three times now. I'm guessing he's got major problems with enviornmental factors...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast