EVO -----is it okay for a young dog - Yes and No!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EVO -----is it okay for a young dog - Yes and No!

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultEVO -----is it okay for a young dog - Yes and No!

I started another thread regarding Orijen dog food, a similar product to EVO. It seems many have their opinions, including me, but facts seem to be limited.

I wanted to share what Naturapet, the makers of EVO wrote back to me regarding feeding EVO to large breed puppies:

Thank you for contacting us about our products. The EVO is not recommended for Large or Giant Breed puppies that will grow to be over 75+ lbs. If you have a large or giant breed puppy and you would like to feed the EVO, we would recommend waiting until your puppy is close to it's adult weight.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any additional information or if you have any questions.
    So that tells me two things...

1)if you have a lab that will for sure weigh less that 75lbs, then according to the company- go ahead and feed it from the get go (granted, you may not know how big your pup will be until it gets older).

2) If chances are your lab will weigh more than 75lbs, then when your dog is close to its adult age and I would think 90%(based on Merck vet Manual) of what you would estimate your dog to weigh by 18-24 months - then it is okay to switch over to EVO at that point.

I have a 12 month old lab, 62lbs, male, and I am 99% sure he will not get close to 75lbs, therefore it would have been okay to start him on EVO from the get go...I also believe he is about 90% of his adult weight, so based on both condition, it would be perfectly fine at this point in time to safely switch to EVO based on the companies recommendations - not mine.

This is how I interpreted it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: EVO -----is it okay for a young dog - Yes and No!

I'm interested in knowing how you know what size your dog is going to be. Rider's parents were moderate. Dam was 70lbs and Sire was 80lbs. One would guess based on their body type (and some of the dogs in his pedigree by their pictures) that he would only get to be about 75lbs himself. He too was around 65lbs at a year.

What does he regularly weigh now? 88lbs. Pure muscle. Careful my friend.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I'm going to have to say that's not correct. Labs are treated as large breeds in terms of nutrition in the puppy stage not because of their final weight, but because they share some of the same problems. Studies have shown (and if you search "calcium" you'll probably find them here because I know Bob, myself, and others have posted several studies) that calcium, genes, exercise, and total caloric intake play a crucial role in things like OCD, hip dysplasia, and other growth-related problems. EVO, at over 2.5% calcium, is probably too high. I wouldn't feed it to my Lab pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick, good points, I also think the calcium is too high especially when you don't know what your going to end up with (weight wise). Also, from what I have read here and elsewhere online, come about 6-8 months a dog can regulate the calcium.

One should never base approximate weight based on the parents – that is just silly thing to do. I base it on statistics and where he has been in relation to those statistics. I also base it on everything my vets have every told me. I also base it on dogs that are similar in size to labs. Example - http://www.goldendoodles.com/Health/growth_chart.htm

Dani, I think your dog’s growth is not the norm – not that is bad, but it is rare that a dog like a lab adds roughly another 30% of its body weight after 12 months of age.

FYI – the breed standard is approximately 65-80 lbs for male.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have a 12 month old lab, 62lbs, male, and I am 99% sure he will not get close to 75lbs, therefore it would have been okay to start him on EVO from the get go...
    Can I just ask why you are so set on feeding EVO despite the warnings? would it hurt to wait until your dog is at least 18 months old to be on the safe side?

It is a bit unreasonable to assume that your dog won't get close to ___lbs as an adult. Seeing as the growth plates don't close until around 18 months there is a fair chance he will get bigger over the next year.

Can anyone confirm when a dog is considered a "large breed"? I have heard 60lbs but I am not sure.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am not feeding EVO, I was just curious, so I emailed the company.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    FYI ? the breed standard is approximately 65-80 lbs for male.
    No shit sherlock. He's a PET BRED LAB---it is the norm for that to happen...and I based it on generations of dogs...not just parents, where the hell are you pulling this from?. And you pulled that article from a DOODLE SITE? Come on.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

1)if you have a lab that will for sure weigh less that 75lbs, then according to the company- go ahead and feed it from the get go (granted, you may not know how big your pup will be until it gets older).
    I'm sorry but I don't follow your logic here. How did you derive that from this:

EVO is not recommended for Large or Giant Breed puppies that will grow to be over 75+ lbs. If you have a large or giant breed puppy and you would like to feed the EVO, we would recommend waiting until your puppy is close to it's adult weight.
    I guess I tend to look at the "spirit" of how something is written vs. the absolutes. In other words, I don't think it's quite so black and white.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast