Orijen Dog Food (Large Breed)
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orijen Dog Food (Large Breed)

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultOrijen Dog Food (Large Breed)

sorry for the cross post - hoping to get some input here
    http://www.acana.cz/orijen/orijen/

This is a grain-free dog food from Canada and has very high reviews across the web. They are one of the only companies to make a Large Breed version of a food like this.

The analysis is:Guaranteed analysis:
    Protein 42.0% (min.)
    Carbohydrate 18.0% (max.)
    Fat 16.0% (min.)
    Moisture 10.0% (max.)
    Fiber 2.0% (max.)
    Calcium 1.4% (min.)
    Phosphorus 1.1% (min.)
    Omega-6 2.5% (min.)
    Omega-3 1.0% (min.)
    Glucosamine 700 mg/kg (min.)
    Chondroitin 150 mg/kg (min.)
    Microorganisms 50 M cfu/kg

From what I understand the Calcium/Phosporus levels are good for a large breed puppy? Right? I think that is why they are calling this the large breed forumala.

My dog is 11.5 months and he is about 63 lbs - I think he put on about 2 lbs in the last 4 months...

What is your take on the analysis for a dog like mine? He is a house dog, but moderatly active...he comes from an established line of filed dogs...

My only negative reaction is the Glucosamine and Chondroitin being added - I would rather suppliment it myself...and I think i still will, but only half the recommended dosage...but I am not starting that until he is about 12-14 months, per a orthro vet I know.

Thanks for your input

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Orijen Dog Food (Large Breed)

He's too young for a food like this.

The glucosimine and chonadrine are not enough amounts to truly affect anything anyways. You should still supplement with this food. I woudn't feed this until at least 18 months.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It does seem a bit high on protein for a house dog, even if "moderately" active. I would think it would be more suited for a very active field trial/competitive adult dog. JMO
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani - Why?

From all my research, and I have spent a few days on this, feeding a high protein diet to a puppy is perfectly fine be it kibble or raw as long as you keep in mind two things: 1) Do not overfeed, 2) The calcium/Phos levels are within LB puppy range.

This food as far as I can tell meets number to above. It is even marketed for Large Breed Dogs up to 18-24 months of age.

I think everyone is already aware of the whole kidney myth, so that does not concern me.

My dog is about 62 lbs and my guess is about 95% fully grown...I would be shocked if he surpased 70.

Also, I have not come across one study that says high protein makes a dog hyper? If you can point me in that direction, please - I need to read it.

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Hello, yes I too have fed and have heard great things about orijen. i switched my skinny, not hungry 12 yr old poodle to it and the change in him was amazing. I live in edmonton and last week on City News a holistic vet was a guest and orijen as well as innova and 'raw food' was what she uses and recommends. Like you said i wouldn't be concerned about too much protein, raw fed dogs do great and they eat meat, bone and organ. My lab pup is raw fed but if i ever need to use kibble it will be orijen. My poodle gets some orijen some raw. I also convinced my sister & mom to switch their dogs. My sister has a lab and a jack russell both had dull dry coats, and weren't to happy about there feeding time, since she switched they are acting happy to eat and both smell and look good!
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Yeah, the calcium looks good so it would be alright. With the protein so high (which that alone does not cause growth problems), just make sure you're feeding an appropriate amount. Overfeeding is a major culprit (assuming the genes are there) for hip dysplasia. Moreover, at 12 months (rounding up), he's well past the time where calcium control is most important. Sometime after 6 months, puppies develop a mechanism to excrete excess calcium. Prior to that, they're unable to, and that's why it's so important to control calcium levels (otherwise they start prematurely depositing into their bones which can cause a host of growth-related problems).

I say he's too young because it's a very chalorically dense and rich food. Even Innova tells it's EVO buyers NOT to put pups under the age of 2 on it. RIder started on it when he was 2...and until we figured out the feeding amount, he packed on weight.

It's not exactly like raw at all.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Dani - I understand that Inova does tell its buyers NOT to use EVO, but I am 99% sure it is because of the amount of calcium in the food which is over 2.3.

I do not think it has anything at all to do with calories...Like I have said and another poster as well, you must watch how much you feed, but truth be told, everyone should watch how much their dogs eat. A cup of X is not the same this as a cup of Y, but a calorie is a calorie when it comes to gaining weight.

Naturapet posted this on thier site:
    No. We would not recommend feeding the Innova Evo to a large/giant breed puppy. There are specific products (e.g., Innova Large Breed Puppy) which are intentionally designed for the proper nutritional support of growing puppies with projected mature weights in excess of 60 lbs. EVO was not designed for this purpose. For the large breed puppy the growth rate must be optimized not maximized, and the mineral balance must be tightly controlled to support skeletal growth. The most effective way in which to control these factors is through the judicious use of high quality carbohydrates.

They talk about "minera balance" - not calories at all.

I am going to give it a try...the food appears great, he is in good shape, about 95% fully grown...

How do you figure he's 95% full grown at 11.5 months old? They don't finish growing until they are 2. So...he's actually about 50% done growing. I wasn't talking only about the calories.

The question is why are you trying to switch him now? Is he doing bad on his current food? If not, why would you bother to switch? If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast