HELP quick question

Thread: HELP quick question

BrooknHannah is offline Senior Member

DefaultHELP quick question

Okay, Have a friend who just got a pitbull. It's acutally mixed. The ? is.. her puppy is around 6-7 weeks old and she scratches ALOT, almost continually. She's bather her, she's on a good diet, been wormed once so far. She also will lay flat on the ground, and drag her tummy on the carpet, with her hind feet paralized looking, draging her lower body with her front paws. She plays alot, eating good drinking good, etc... is that a common symptom of worms you think? OR possibly allergies, but this early? I couldn't offer her any advise, but thought maybe someone could here. She's got a vet appt. on tues. Thanks guys!
    <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Brook and Tuck and the kids and hubby!<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; Love, The Rhineharts

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP quick question

Guess noone else knows either : Thanks anyway
    <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Brook and Tuck and the kids and hubby!<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; Love, The Rhineharts

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I would definitely ask the vet. It could be a number of things...reaction to food, fleas, etc. Prudence has severe allergies- food, grass, I can only use certain shampoos on her or she'll scratch herself raw. I could be wrong, but I don't think that is a sign of worms. I hope the vet can give your friend some answers so the little pup can get some relief. Good luck to your friend.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Does your friend have a collar on the puppy? We put a collar on Oona when she was about 8 weeks and she almost scratched herself raw. We took the collar off and tried it again in a few weeks without incident.
    Olie

imported_Aim is offline Senior Member

Is her belly red and irritated? If so- I'd head to the vet to see if they can figure out what is causing it.

When your friend bathed her- did she rinse her really well?? Sometimes left over residue can lead to itching.
    This is my dog. His name is Tucker. And we live in Ontario, Canada, eh! <br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When your friend bathed her, did she use a shampoo specificially for puppies OR a shampoo for human babies or adults?

Human skin is many times more acid than dog skin so even a baby shampoo will be very irritating to dog skin and can easily cause irritation and dandruff.

IN ADDITION, the dog can be picking up a staph infection of the skin caused by contact with dust or pollen from grasses -- it may need a trip to the vet.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Well, I have this puppy now. Ug.. long story. She's got a vet visit today. She was shampoo'd with puppy shampoo. Rinsed very well. She's got no rashes, no bald spots or thinning hair. She's got no fleas, etc...
    She was itching when they brought her home, and basically that's what she's done here too. I've been sleeping on the couch with her, in her crate, and she gets up every 1-2 hrs and goes outside to potty and then I bring her back inside. She's not OUTSIDE anymore, like she was. We also suspect this puppy to be WAY younger than 8 weeks, but that's a WHOLE other story too. I am expecting to know and get ALOT more info at the vets today... so ya'll be praying this pups okay. Here are a few pics of her.... Oh btw.. no collar so that's not an issue. I asked that first thing, b/c Tuck hates her collar and ALWAYS scratched. I thought if it was worms.... she would need to treat the pup right away, but we'll let the vet do that today.

Mybabymambo Guest

She is really cute. Sorry no advice. Are you keeping her?

I'm not real sure yet. I dont know alot about a pit/boxer breed. Hubby grew up with pure bred pits, but I am not really sure with kids around. She's such a good "pup" so far. I will have to do alot of research and talk with potential "new owners" and go from there. She'll deff. need a fence yard, etc... someone who knows more about this breed, but Deff. NOT ruling out keeping her.