Which food?

Thread: Which food?

ArichMykal is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhich food?

Ok I have a ? for you all. I have been using up some food that came with my puppy and I ordered Chicken Soup Large breed a week ago and it still isn't in. I was told by the place(a kennel, training place, grooming, person that used to show dogs or still does place) that I didn't need Large breed for my puppy. That Chicken soup puppy was just fine for her but they would order it if I wanted and I said yes and have been waiting. Well I am running lower than I wanted to transition her so I went to another place today to see if they carried it since I knew they carried Chicken soup so I could get threw since I had already ordered the 1 bag I have to pay for it from them. They did not have Large breed puppy either but carried every other kind it seems including the cat food. So I asked an employee if I need it for her and he said no also. It was his understanding that it is more of a marketing thing for Labs size dogs especially a female since she won't be as big and when they came out with the Large breed food it was mainly for giant breeds and not for dogs the size of labs. He said she would do just fine on Chicken soup puppy and that I didn't need Large breed puppy. I did buy regular puppy today as I am running low and need to switch her. Is this ok for her? My other dog is on Chicken soup and I really would like to put the puppy on Chicken soup but now I am confused as to if she needs Large breed puppy or if it is ok for her to eat just regular Chicken Soup puppy? What is all your opinions on it?

Here is a link if you want to look and compare the 2 to help me decide if she will be ok on regular puppy http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...puppy_formula/
    Here is the large breed puppy.
    http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...puppy_formula/

Thanks for your help all

Jenny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Which food?

Our Rowan was the little gal of the litter and was actually bottle fed... you wouldn't know it now... but she has been on a Large Breed Puppy food since we brought her home at 7 wks. Personally, I think it is important and our breeder also recommended it. She will remain on it until she is spayed ... somewhere around 8-9 months and then I will switch her to an adult food.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

The regular puppy food should be just fine. The protein levels (28%) are fine. They don't list the calcium level, which would be the other issue. I would call the manufacturer and check the calcium level and as long as calcium is below 2.0 and is slightly higher ratio to phosphorus 1.2:1, it will be fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ArichMykal is offline Senior Member

I called the company and the Calcium is 1.8% and the phosphorus is 1.2% does this sound fine to you all for a lab?

Thanks

Jenny

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Those levels are just fine. This food will be okay for your lab.

Golly is offline Junior Member

Regular puppy food is just fine. The giant breeds are really the only dogs who may need large breed dog food, but even then there have been tons of dogs who have grown up just fine before LB food were invented. The most improtant fact is that you have taken the time to find a very,very good food to feed your pup, this will go a long way in adding many healty years to your kids life time.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

The general recommendation is for calcium levels at 1.5% or less. Personally, I'd stick with the LB food in this case because I'm pretty conservative with calcium, but more importantly I'd ask your breeder.

Large breed foods aren't recommended for Labs because they're a large breed dog, but because they share the same growth-related problems as large breed dogs. Now that doesn't mean you have to buy large breed puppy foods, but you do need to feed a food that has an appropriate amount of calcium (which is what LB Puppy foods do). There are other foods that accomplish this goal without the LB Puppy label.

Fletchs Pop is offline Senior Member

I'd reiterate what Nick said. 1.5 or below is what is considered best. Bear in mind those listings are minimums.
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you don’t need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Nick.

Labs are among the most common dogs to develop joint problems. Why take a chance?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748