throws up after drinking water

Thread: throws up after drinking water

filthyflea is offline Junior Member

Defaultthrows up after drinking water

I have a 5 year old Yellow Lab - Abigail. This is timeframe is all of most recently - after she comes back from a walk, when she drinks water, she throws up. Now we have tried to hold her off on the water and wait a bit for her to settle down before letting her drink but even a few hours later and she still throws up after drinking water. She has been to the vet to see if there was something in her stomach (xrays) but they all came back negative. expactorate is either food or water.

Early on, she was throwing up in the am (bile) so what we did is break up her dinner -half at dinner time and half before we go to bed - this appears to have stopped those episodes.

We have been trying to see if treats are causing this by cutting back on certain treats etc. This does not happen every time, but enough times that we are beginning to worry.

My theory is that at 5, her body has made change and now possibly the food we are giving her is too rich (Wellness Lamb and Rice). Just like humans, every so many years, your body goes through a chemical change and you become allergic to things that you were fine with before...thus, I am thinking of changing her food (reluctantly as I just changed over from Welness Fish and sweet potato about 18 months ago)

Any ideas or has anyone gone through this.

Thanks in advance
    Andy and Laura
    When all you have is a Lab - everything looks like cookie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: throws up after drinking water

Is this only happening with the water now? and when she throws up is it just water? Hank has done this before. If he excercises hard or drinks a large amount of water at once he will do this. Doesn't seem to bother him, its just because he consumed too much and one sitting. If I see him drinking an excesses amount I pull him off the water and make him walk around the yard with me and then let him drink, take him off, let him drink.. so that he does it in moderation.

Try that (if she is only throwing up the water). if food is coming up too then a switch in food may be needed. or if you need to, adjust the amount of feed she is getting, when you feed, or when you exercise. Those are all things to be considered.

Keep us posted and good luck
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

filthyflea is offline Junior Member

It seems that when she throws up it may be due to consuming a large volume of water. Generally the food comes up since she had dinner a few hours before and it has not fully digested. We have found that if she drinks in moderation (funny word for a Lab) that she is fine.

I will try to moderate her water drinking and see if this helps.

Thanks for the response - much appreciated

Andy and Laura
    When all you have is a Lab - everything looks like cookie.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Be careful with her drinking a large amount of water at one time. A friend's Golden got bloat from this. Luckily his wife was home and got the dog to the vet in time.
    Olie