feeding/vet emergency visit

Thread: feeding/vet emergency visit

JackieN is offline Senior Member

Defaultfeeding/vet emergency visit

HI..this a.m., we took Dakota to the vets..first time since getting him..he was sick. Throwing up..and a bloated stomach. Long story short..x-rays showed a very large stomach, and some foreign bodies in it..vet had a consult with a radiologist..and the consult said it wasn't anything to worry about..he was full of air and gas...my question is..I think I may be overfeeding him in the morning..how much is given to a 22 lb 12 week pup. Is it still 1/2 oz. per lb of body weight..or are pups different.????? If necessary, we will get a 2nd set of x-rays in the morning...to compare stomach size and contents.
    TIA Jackie
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: feeding/vet emergency visit

How many times a day are you feeding Dakota? I would look on your food bag & they will tell you how much a pup Dakota's size should eat in a day. I then divided the feedings into 4 at first then went down to three divided feedings.
    Hope Dakota feels better.

Hi Georgie..he seems to be doing better. Unfortunately,dippy me..I put the dog food into a container..and threw the bag out. I'm thinking he had too much to eat this am, my fault of course. I'm going to try less..and next time I am at the petstore..check the bag for amounts. I feed him morning and late afternoon, per the breeders instructions.
    Thank you for the kind words!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    How many times a day are you feeding Dakota? I would look on your food bag & they will tell you how much a pup Dakota's size should eat in a day. I then divided the feedings into 4 at first then went down to three divided feedings.
    Hope Dakota feels better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

The amount varies greatly by dog and food. The bag is a good place to start but it's normally on the high side so I would start out about a half cup less than the bag recommendation divided by 3.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

My vet recommended dividing feedings for puppies (esp. large breed pups) into as many feedings as your schedule allowed. We did five small feedings for a month or so.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Thanks to all..I'll check the bag next time I go to Petsmart. I'm feeding him 1 and 1/2 cup in the a.m., and the same amount around 3-4 p.m. I supplement with Nutro puppy biscuits during training. He's fine now..back to his old wild self..LOL I do believe it was my fault for over feeding him.
    Jackie