pain meds

Thread: pain meds

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Defaultpain meds

I ok'd pain meds for Calli while getting spayed, and they also sent me home with some today.

Previcox.

Now I remember Bogey getting sick (horrible diharrea(sp?)) after his neuter, and I dont know if he was because of the pills or because he picked up something at the vets.

I guess what Im asking is would you give your dog the pain meds?

I dont want to cause her any un-needed stress. But I dont want her to be hurting either.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Yes, I would. Would you want pain medication after having your ovaries and uterus removed? A spay is painful, and it's impossible to say why Bogey vomited (stress, anesthesia, pain meds, fed too soon, etc.). Excessive pain can delay the healing process and make her more likely to mess with her sutures. That being said, watch for side effects as with any medication Hope she heals up quickly!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I did give Diesel pain meds after his neuter - becacuse he was whimpering. If he seemed to not be in pain I would probably hold off.

My Shepherd had no pain meds when she was spayed appeared to suffer not a bit of pain. I think if she were in pain she would not have jumped up onto the dining room table the day she came home.

So - I would follow her lead. If she appears subdued, shaking, hunched over a bit or whimpers she could probably use some relief.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Would you want pain medication after having your ovaries and uterus removed?

YES I would!

I hope she heals quick too, she's been a trooper so far! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I did give Diesel pain meds after his neuter - becacuse he was whimpering. If he seemed to not be in pain I would probably hold off.

My Shepherd had no pain meds when she was spayed appeared to suffer not a bit of pain. I think if she were in pain she would not have jumped up onto the dining room table the day she came home.

So - I would follow her lead. If she appears subdued, shaking, hunched over a bit or whimpers she could probably use some relief.
    I will pay very close attention. Thanks!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    YES I would!

I hope she heals quick too, she's been a trooper so far! Thanks!
    That's how I usually gauge my guess. We don't know for sure how exactly animals feel pain, or how they show it. I'd rather err on the side of caution than have them in pain, but that's me personally.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

I am with you on the caution side. It just seemed with Bogey, he was in more pain because of it.
    They only gave for three days so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

What I find funny is that the pain med prescribed for your spay is marketed as an arthritis pain medication. Not for general surgery pain.