Feeding "human" foods!??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding "human" foods!??

JackieN is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding "human" foods!??

Hi, just curious, so here's my question. I've always heard not to feed a dog human food, now I'm not saying I always abide by that rule, with my older 14 year old dog, we do give her some goodies from time to time.
    I see a lot about feeding labs, carrots, banana's, and other human foods. Is this really good for them...and won't it lead to them wanting "human" foods instead of their kibble? And if it's ok..what foods can they have safely!
    Thanks.. Jackie
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Feeding "human" foods!??

I think adding appropriate human food is an excellent way to supplement a dogs diet. "Appropriate" meaning healthy; meat scraps, veggies and other leftovers. I hate the idea of feeding a dog on processed dry food for the duration of its life -- VARIETY is the spice of life.

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

I think dogs are kind of like children.....whatever Mom or Dad is eating must be better than what they are eating! I don't think they ever have to actually eat it to "want" it!

Gracie eats Canidae dog food, but she regularly gets carrots (which she really doesn't care for!)red pepper, green peppers, cucumbers, bananas, apples (she likes slices, not the cores) watermelon, pineapple....too much to list! She also gets the scraps of chicken/pork/beef as I trim them (yes, I feed them to her raw) and I will give her scraps from the kids plates....usually the meat and veggies. As long as your dog is otherwise healthy and eating a good quality kibble, supplementing with "human" food should not be a problem.

Some things dogs should not be fed: Grapes, Raisins, Onions, Chocolate....these can be toxic to a dog depending on how much they consume in relation to their body weight. You also need to be careful with pain relievers....Ibuprofen (Motrn) and Acetaminophen (Tylenol) are also toxic to dogs and should never be given to them.
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster and TherapyDawg, thanks for the replies. One more question..Dakota is only 11 weeks old..should I wait till he's older to feed these things?
    TIA Jackie

As he is only 11 weeks old, I would go easy. If you want to feed scraps, stick with something simple like bits of meat. Too much "human" food could upset his stomach.

Trickster..thanks for the advice. Funny thing is..I was having a banana today..mid day snack..and I thought..ok..let's see if Dakota would like it..after about 4 tries in his mouth..he finally ate it..I was shocked..first dog I've ever had that ate a "fruit". LOL..very kewl.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    As he is only 11 weeks old, I would go easy. If you want to feed scraps, stick with something simple like bits of meat. Too much "human" food could upset his stomach.

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't give him too much at this point, but a little taste here and there should not hurt him. Stay away from junk food....if it is not good for us, chances are it is not good for him.

Gracie loves bananas! She goes to work with me on Fridays and the Nurse Practitioners in the office right next to mine share their breakfast with her...usually she gets hard boiled egg yolks and bananas. She doesn't even wait for an invitation anymore...if the door is ajar, she just walks right in and plunks herself down in front of whoever is eating! I have tried to explain to her that it is not ladylike to beg, but it seems to be working for her!
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

Therapydawg, no..no junk food for Dakota, been there done that years ago..when I was young and stooopid. LOL I will give out the good human foods in small amounts infrequently, just till I see how he handles them. I still can't get over the banana tho. LOL
    Am I correct, it still isn't good to give dogs cooked egg whites, just give them the yolks??? I seem to remember something about that from years back?
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by therapydawg
    I wouldn't give him too much at this point, but a little taste here and there should not hurt him. Stay away from junk food....if it is not good for us, chances are it is not good for him.

Gracie loves bananas! She goes to work with me on Fridays and the Nurse Practitioners in the office right next to mine share their breakfast with her...usually she gets hard boiled egg yolks and bananas. She doesn't even wait for an invitation anymore...if the door is ajar, she just walks right in and plunks herself down in front of whoever is eating! I have tried to explain to her that it is not ladylike to beg, but it seems to be working for her!

Whole raw eggs are fine. Just don't feed the shell because you don't want to be giving the pup excess calcium.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Jackie just be careful. There are some human foods that can be poisonous to dogs such as grapes, rasins, and chocolate.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast