14 week old Lab Puppy

Thread: 14 week old Lab Puppy

Gusdad is offline Member

Default14 week old Lab Puppy

OK This is my first post on here. I have a 14 week old Choc Lab Puppy named Gus who is currently on Science diet for large breeds. I know this is not the best food. My Vet suggested it, probably because he is a dealer. Is it true that I should be feeding a food that has meat as a first ingredient? i.e. Chicken meal? I have been told this is the most ideal. Also, is 26-27% the proper protein right now. I am told not to go higher or lower b/c of his joints and hips. This is my first Lab and want to do right by him. If it is helpful, he had a Vet visit today and his weight is 26.3 pounds.

Thanks folks
    <br />The Family

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Serg4u is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 14 week old Lab Puppy

YES! you want the ingredients to list to be the meats first. I've heard to stay away from corn starch, and wheat?( my dog is white/yellow so I believe this makes her darker and is the reason why to stay away from it)
    <br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ideally the first ingredient should be a meat meal, but if the rest of the ingredients are of poor or average quality, having meat as the first ingredient is useless. Unfortunately, most Science Diet formulas fall into that category. There are some far healtier, affordable dog food options on the market these days -- just ask if you want anyone to give suggestions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome Gus & Dad!

I agree with Trickster wholeheartedly! Dog food ingredients are required to be listed in order of predominance by weight prior to processing. You want to look for a food with a meat meal listed first...to put it simply, the water has already been processed out of the meat and it results in a much more accurate representation of the quantity of that meat in relation to the other ingredients. You should avoid any foods that have corn, wheat or soy in them. I have never heard that they can affect the color of a light dog as Serg4u suggested, but dogs do not digest them well and they are suspected of being the cause of allergies and ear infections.

If you are interested in learning more about dog food and how to chose a quality kibble for you pup, check out www.dogfoodproject.com There is a wealth of information on that site. Once you know what to look for in a good quality kibble, www.dogfoodanalysis.com lists the majority of commercial dog foods and their ingredients. It is a convenient way to compare the ingredients of different brands without having to surf lot of different sites.
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Gosh they could almost be twins! ;D My gus was born nov. 7 what about yours? I feed my Gus raw and would definitely recommend it!
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Gusdad is offline Member

Wow!!! November 13
    <br />The Family

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serg4u
    I've heard to stay away from corn starch, and wheat?( my dog is white/yellow so I believe this makes her darker and is the reason why to stay away from it)
    Well that's a new one. Wheat and cornstarch does not affect the color of yellow dogs. Most people avoid wheat because it is a common allergen but not all dogs are allergic to wheat.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Anthony8858 is offline Senior Member

I feed my little "Brandy" Royal Canin. From what I've read, it's pretty good.

BTW...Brandy was born November 11th

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I feed my dog raw - and will not feed kibble again. We are getting a puppy from a raw feeding breeder, so we can start right from the beginning on the right track.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata