TO supplements

Thread: TO supplements

robinsegg26 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTO supplements

Has anyone tried the Timberwolf supplements? I feed the boys eagle pack dog food but was just looking at options for supplements..although their webiste says they are all sold out at this time.. was just wondering if they were any good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: TO supplements

What kind of supplement? I just Googled Timberwolf and saw a lot of different formula foods -- all quite expensive. Is it one of those you're thinking of adding to the Eagle Pack diet or something else?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why do you want to supplement? if you are feeding a complete dry food you don't need to. Save your money.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The boys just have really dry skin and I know part of it is due to running the heat and it being really dry... but Just thought they may need some viatimins or something? they are eating the fish formula eagle pack... and i know some people give viatmins and fish oil and different things... was just curious...

oh and as to what supplement... they acutally have a 2lb jar of this stuff you add to the dogs food... its supposed to help with digestion, allergies and has lots of vitamins... its like 15.00 a jar.. and you only give a tablespoon per cup of food... they are out of it at the moment and the link doesnt work... they are out of the fish oil too...

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ah, ok. I thought you wanted to supplement for no particular reason. If there is a health reason, supplementing is ok. Supplementing for no reason when your dog is healthy and on a complete dry food is a bit pointless IMO.

I would try the fish oil capsules and adding one teaspoon of fat (olive oil is fine) to their food once a day. See if that helps the skin.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Generally it's better and safer (IMO) to give specific things like Fish Oil caps or Glucosamine & Chondroitin tabs rather than a "health" supplement that's a smorgasbord of many herbs, vitamins, minerals, nutraceuticals, etc. For example, some provide Calcium "good for growing bones" whereas the current scientific nutritional literature advises to keep this down to near 1% for Labs and large breed pups under a year old.

In general, nutraceuticals are strongest on appealing hype to boost sales and very short on sound nutritional management.

IF your Lab is having itchy skin and you live in a climate that needs inside heat in the winter -- do you use a humidifier? If you're using forced hot air heat or radiators, the dry air is awful on people and animal skins.

In addition, heated humidified air provides the comfort at 65°F/18°C that non-humidified dry air does at 75°F/24°C (or even higher) so you save money $/£/€ as well.

A humidifier that takes little maintenance can be retrofitted onto many forced air systems for maybe $600 (a guess). When outside temps become very cold, you can dial a slightly lower level of humidity to prevent inside window frost. I had one at a previous home and liked it so much installed a similar one in the heating/AC at an office suite I leased.

I'd have one now but my present 35 year old heating/AC system doesn't allow that because of walls, passage ways, etc.

So, I first started using a heatiing/misting type with a 1-1.5 gallon tank that needed frequent refilling and laborious decalcification once a week. Helped but a LOT of work.

When I saw a good discount on an Emerson evaporative type, I snapped it up. This holds 4 3/4 gallons (divided in 2 tanks) and the 2 tanks last for more than 24 hours. They should have a small amount of Bacteriostat plus a Decalcifying solution added at each tank's refilling. The paper wicks which pull up the water so the fans can blow over them and evaporate the moisture need replacing each heating season because, despite the additives, they become too "petrified"/calcified.

I look forward to the day when it comes time to remodel and replace my old heat/AC unit with a new unit; it'll have an electrostatic air cleaner and an automatic humidifier.

Until then, I tolerate making do with my Emerson.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748