14wk. Puppy throwing up food UPDATE

Thread: 14wk. Puppy throwing up food UPDATE

Mackadew is offline Junior Member

Default14wk. Puppy throwing up food UPDATE

Guinness has been to the vet and had an exam and x-ray. Nothing showed up on the x-ray except a small amount of gas and no fever or other symptoms. He threw up his food monday during the day, monday night, and tuesday morning. He kept his food down through the rest of yesterday but, threw up his food this morning. Also, he does not throw up the food right away. It is usually about 2-4 hours after eating. There were no foreign substances in his vomit either. I was just wondering if anybody might have had the same experience before. Myself and the vets are stumped as to what it could be causing this.

UPDATE: We had to take Guinness back to the vet this past saturday. He was slow moving and having difficulty standing up. When he did stand he would hang his head down. At the vet, they did blood work and found that his white cells were high and red cells low. Also, he was now running a fever and protein levels were low. The protein was probably because he kept throwing up most of his food. X-ray still looked good. The vet believes it could be some sort of infection. They gave him an antibiotic shot, antibiotic pills, iron supplements, and changed his diet to rice/chicken/cottage cheese. Later on saturday night you could tell he was feeling alot better and sunday he was almost back to normal. This morning he threw up in his crate just a little but, was nothing like the other times. We phoned the vet to give them an update and she recommended we let him try some new food to help him out. She gave us Purina EN(gastro enteric) to let him try. He must like the food b/c he is eating like normal now.

I just felt like giving an update to those that may have been following this. Also, if anybody has had any experience(s) like this fell free to post what you have come across.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 14wk. Puppy throwing up food

I am not an expert but I just wondered how many times a day does he eat & how much does he eat? If the x-rays are clear....my first thought was maybe too much food at one meal. My girls are 1 year & 4 years & I still give them 3 meals a day.
    I hope you get an answer to this.

He normally eats about 1.5 cups in the morning and the same at night. My wife and I don't work close enough to home to feed him during the day. For a while he has been fluctuating with the amount he will actually eat. The vet said dogs have days like humans and won't eat as much on some days as others. There have never been consistent days passed where he won't eat all of his food. Usually just a day or two of not eating the full amount and than he is right back to gobbling it all up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding him, maybe its the food?
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

CityGirl is offline Member

I'd have to say that it is a food related reaction, he's most likely displaying an allergic behavoir. Some dogs tummies are sensitive and they have problems with certain foods, what are you feeding him?
    Maybe a change in dog food would fix it.
    Lab Lover<br />I&#039;ve been touched!

kpowell is offline Senior Member

Jack used to throw up right after her ate all the time. I bought him a special bowl that has "pillars" built into the bottom to slow him down, and I started feeding him smaller meals three times a day (6 a.m, 4 p.m., 9 p.m.) He hasn't thrown up since.
    Jack&#039;s Mom

The breeder was feeding puppy chow. About a week after we got him home we started to introduce Nutro Naturals LBP into his chow little by little. We are currently at about 50/50 mix. It has been this way for a few weeks and his throwing up has been all of a sudden. I must say that he will eat all of the puppy chow first and than eat the NN after.