hates having his nails cut
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hates having his nails cut

Defaulthates having his nails cut

i was hoping someone could give me some tips.bruno hates his nails cut.he'll let me stroke his paws and touch his nails (which im told is supposed to help him get used to having his nails trimed).but when you get the cutters near him he just will not hold still.i always take his to the vet or groomer for this to be done,and last time he struggled that much he snapped his halti clean in half!! . i get so upset cos i know how much its stressing him out,and now ive started to dread taking him.its not cos hes scared of the vet or groomer cos he'll let them do anything else (he loves to be pampered and made a fuss of ) does anyone have any tips on how to calm him down (and keep him calm)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

summerluv is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hates having his nails cut

Summer goes Crazy when she sees the clippers so I started to take her to the vet. Well after 2 times they wanted to charge me 10 dollars more because it was so hard to do, so I invested in a dremel and it works awesome!!!!! I have to bring her in the bathroom and kind of hold her down but it works great and I can't clip her! She tolerates this much much better. She does really well with her back paws for some reason she is real skittish with her front paws.
    [center]<br />Proud mommy to Summer! 3 y/o yellow lab

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't know how old he is but I started my girls really young. I always had good treats ready & I would clip one nail & give a treat. It took alot of time to actually be able to do one paw before giving a treat. I clip just the tips every week. They both sit well now. But of course I still have to have the good treats handy.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

LOTS of really good TREATS!!! ;D
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Lots of treats! I also dremel my dog's nails. If I have let them go too long, I'll clip first, but the dremel makes all the difference!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

down to the D.I.Y shop it is i would never have thought of the dremel i'll give it a go and let you know how i get on .normaly bruno gets that stressed out by having his nails cut,he not touch his treats (and trust me-he lives for treats ) its me thats on the chocolate bars before and after him having them trimed to try and calm me down

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The dremel may take a little getting used to. Start by turning it on near the dog and dishing out the treats (without touching the dog with the dremel). Work towards touching with the dremel off, then touching with the dremel on, but not grinding the nails....etc It may take a week or so. If you can get his nails clipped first, then you have longer to get him used to the dremel. Oh, and don't grind the nails too long at once. The nail will get warm by the friction. Grind for a few seconds then move onto the other nails...then back to the first if need be.

There's a good site somwhere on dremeling nails on dobermans, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else can find it, or I'll try tomorrow when I am not on dial-up.

For just one dog, I like a cordless dremel. If you are doing a kennel full, there may not be enough power, but the charge on mine lasts a long time.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

thanks for the advice .i knew it wouldnt be an over-night thing but i had no idea how to start.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem with Mocha she hated having her nails done. I started taking her to the vet who used a dremel on her she did 10x better with the dremmel. So I bought a cordless one for $39.95 at Lowes with all the attachments. Here is a thread I started a few weeks ago about doing Mocha's. It also has a link to the dremel I bought.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,33856.0.html
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Mybabymambo Guest

Mambo was like that for awhile, I was never able to cut his nails, but Jerome always does it. He started with clip a nail, get a treat. Now Mambo doesnt really mind to much. Have you seen my "I think he likes it" tread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast