ACL Tear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACL Tear

Addison is offline Junior Member

DefaultACL Tear

My 8yr old lab, Addison, is going in for surgery on his ACL. The orthopedic surgeon thinks its a partial tear. I was wondering if any one had any advice as to the care we should give him after the surgery? What are some things we should expect? How long is this recovery? Any information would be much appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ACL Tear

If you look at the "Both Cruciates" below, I think you'll get all the answers you need.

Thanks for your good thoughts. He's home today and seems to be coming around to his normal self. I got a huge amount of advice from Fall River Labs. They have been GREAT!!! I just don't want his leg to stiffen up on him and would like any recuperation tips any one might have to make him as comfortable as possible!!! Oh..by the way...the vet didn't wrap his leg so the stiches are exposed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paola is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHOCOLATA
    One of the dogs from our rescue group had ACL repair. We were told the recovery is around 10 weeks.
    Recovery is actually longer - more like 6 months between post op and rehab, unless you want to risk reinjury.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

If this is what was done to my dog. The recup time is so crucial. As was stated in an earlier post, 6 months is more like it. No stairs....we hade to build Nadja a ramp, and there were only three stairs. Confinement is critical also.
    But, your surgeon should be telling you all these things and more.

imported_Nate is offline Member

my older lab went through this as well (hes 3) he had surgery in december and is still on restricted play and has to be watched closely. if you dont have a crate you need one, the dog will want to play, but he cant becuase he will only mess his leg up more. good luck

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Addison
    Thanks for your good thoughts. He's home today and seems to be coming around to his normal self. I got a huge amount of advice from Fall River Labs. They have been GREAT!!! I just don't want his leg to stiffen up on him and would like any recuperation tips any one might have to make him as comfortable as possible!!! Oh..by the way...the vet didn't wrap his leg so the stiches are exposed.

My Gracie is now 6 yars old....2 years ago she had a TPLO repair for a ruptured cruciate ligament. It sounds like your boy may have the more traditional repair, but I would suspect that the recovery time is still closer to 4-6 months than just 10 weeks. With Gracie, the vet had us use a sling around her belly (right in front of her back legs) to help support her weight and reduce the possiblity of her slipping and putting too much weight on her leg. She was on retricted activity (no off leash, no stairs, no jumping, no swimming) for about 4 months.

Gracie did not have any bandage on when she came home either...just 18 staples on the inside fo her knee. We were lucky and she never even licked the incision area, so we never had to use the Elizabethan collar on her!

Good luck with Addison...hope recovery goes well!
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

Thanks for all your helpful advice. Addison is doing well and is putting some weight on his leg when going out for short walks. His ankle and knee are a little swollen and icing helps to bring the swelling down. Any suggestions on what we should do for his bruising??

Paola is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you should start using warm pads or compresses for his edema. You ice the first couple of days, then you apply heat. You can also use arnica for the swelling - oral form, not cream.

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

When Gracie had her surgery, we were told to ice for 20 minutes then heat for 20 minutes. I don't recall how long we had to do this. We wrapped a towel around the ice pack (which was actually a 16 oz bag of frozen peas as suggested by the ortho!) or the heating pad to keep them in place. Here is a pic of her with my son during one of the icing/heating sessions:

Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast