Vomiting in p.m

Thread: Vomiting in p.m

Charliesmom is offline Member

DefaultVomiting in p.m

Hi,
    Charlie is vomiting small amounts around the house after we go to bed. He has not had any food changes. He used to sleep in the hall outside my room and then in the last month or so came onto my bed during the night. I don't like this b/c I have arthritis in my knees and need to straighten my legs. I find I don't sleep well and wake in pain. So...I bought him a doggie bed, covered it with an old sheet and put his blankie on it and placed it right beside my bed. He can see and hear me and can watch the hall. I thought we were doing really well b/c he's slept the last 3 nights the whole night in his bed without getting into mine. He is a very sensitive dog with extreme separation anxiety that has never calmed (he is 2 yrs. 3 mos. old). He does seem to go through "needy" phases where he literally needs to be almost touching me all the time. He's not that bad right now but does panic if I leave the room and will practically kill himself on the wood floor to catch up (even if I'm just going to the bathroom). I never never just "disappear" out the door or play hide and seek or anything. Is he upset emotionally, being sensitive, do I worry or just give it time. I am concerned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vomiting in p.m

Is he vomiting up bile?

As you mention he has separation anxiety, I would hazard a guess that his vomiting is stress related. Either that or it could be "empty stomach syndrome" -- sometimes dogs throw up plain bile if they haven't eaten for a while. A simple cookie or handful of food before bed can usually solve this.

Have you received any help or done any training to try and curb his separation anxiety? there are some great resources here on the forum and on the internet. SA is horrible thing for Charlie especially so nipping it in the bud (easier said then done, I know) would greatly assist him to a stress free living.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly has had the empty stomach syndrome & would throw up yellow bile more towards morning. I give her a snack around 9 pm & she has been fine. If you try this & he still is vomiting then it may be due to stress. I don't know what will help but I'm sure others here may know. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I agree, I think its empty stomach syndrome. I feed Oona 4 times a day, she doesn't get any more food, I just space the feedings out. But the last feeding is right before we go to bed. If I ate something right before I went to sleep I would be up all night but for a dog its perfect because you want them to lie down so they can digest.
    Olie

I've never heard of the empty stomach thing. I'll give it a try.
    I have tried beh. methods for the SE and even anxiety meds but nothing seems to help. It goes in peaks and flows. He'll be fine for awhile and then will be stuck to you like glue. Even leaving meals to find you. He didn't throw up last night (Yeah!) but did pee in my winter boot (nonremovable liner). So, you win some and you lose some. Thanks for the advice.

What kind of behavior methods are you trying?

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...arationanxiety
    http://www.inch.com/~dogs/separationanxiety.html

There is a recommended book on SA by Patricia McConnell called 'I'll Be Home Soon!' -- although I haven't read it, I have read several others books by her and rate them highly.

Hi,
    Charlie threw up again during the night. It is mostly bile. If it is empty stomach syndrome, how did he develop it at his age (2 years). I thought it would be something he'd get as a puppy. I feed at 6:30, 8:00, leave for work, 5:00, 7:00. I can try a snack later in the evening and see if that helps. I'm checking out those SE links too. Thanks.

If it is empty stomach syndrome, how did he develop it at his age (2 years).
    It is just one of those things, I guess. It can happen at any age. Pups are usually fed 3-4 times a day compared to an adult dogs 1-2 feedings so there is one explanation. Try feeding a handful of his kibble or a large dog biscuit before bed.