My Boy is almost 4 months old, need suggestions..

Thread: My Boy is almost 4 months old, need suggestions..

Rufus is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Boy is almost 4 months old, need suggestions..

My boy Rufus will be 4 months old at the end of the month and i was wondering how big he should be. 2 weeks ago at the vet he weighed in at 28lbs, i picked him up today, and im guessing he is around 35-40lbs. He has good definition in his figure, i just want to know if im doing ok. I feed him 2.5 cups in morning and night of Purina Pro Plan Selects with a half a scoop of Puppy Gold k9 supplement. There is a pic at the bottom, please give me any pointers on what i should or shouldnt do with my boy. I want the best for him.
    <br />Proud owner of Rufus, a male Chocolate and future hunting dog!<br />Own a Ford Powerstroke? visit the following page, its awesome<br />www.powerstroke.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: My Boy is almost 4 months old, need suggestions..

Please stop the supplement immediately. It contains calcium, 200 mg of calcium according to their website. You have a large breed puppy and they should NOT have any additional calcium as it can cause severe orthopaedic issues.

Here's an article that might help: http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html

Rufus is offline Junior Member

Wow, the Puppy Gold has stopped, i feel bad now.
    <br />Proud owner of Rufus, a male Chocolate and future hunting dog!<br />Own a Ford Powerstroke? visit the following page, its awesome<br />www.powerstroke.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's great that "Thats My Girl" researched that and warned you.

That was a really caring thing to do.

Many thanks, "TMG" !!!

Low levels of calcium are important through the first year of life, increasingly important the younger the dog. So stopping the supplement now gives you 8 more months.

You obviously want to do the best by your buddy or you wouldn't have given the supplement or joined the "JL" forum and asked.

This provides a great lesson that wil help you and your Lab throughout his life.

Come on here, get various opinions (some will be wrong, some right) and do the research to find the level of truth you can be comfortable with.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748