Warning - Cocoa Mulch
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Warning - Cocoa Mulch

  1. #1
    BlackLabJax is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    183

    DefaultWarning - Cocoa Mulch

    WARNING - DO NOT USE COCOA MULCH IF YOU OWN PETS

    DON'T USE THAT COCOA MULCH!


    Verified by Snopes
    VERIFIED ALSO BY GOOGLE
    Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted
    me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and
    family. Please tell every dog owner you know.
    Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa
    Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and
    it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso
    decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large
    helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something
    new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and
    took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a
    seizure and died instantly.
    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further
    investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to
    dogs.
    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true
    that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can
    suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual
    dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
    True information about the mulch can be found here - http://www.snop
    es.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm This site gives the following
    information:
    Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and
    other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called
    "Theobromine".
    It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really
    attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already
    occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are
    using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your
    gardens.
    Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate
    especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs.
    Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a
    xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog
    that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells
    developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the
    stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence
    of lethal amounts of theobromine.
    Please email the manufacturer at [email protected] and request
    that accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to
    avoid further tragedy.
    PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION !!!




  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    imported_111@@@ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    292

    DefaultRe: Warning - Cocoa Mulch

    wow thanks for the tip

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25