Just Labradors banner

Need a good hypoallergenic diet

900 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Trickster 
#1 ·
My vet wants me to put Payon on a new hypoallergenic diet to see if he has a allergy to his food. he's been itching like crazy for four months (6 months old). We have gone through Eukanueba, Pro Plan,and Innova. The staple to these diets has been Chicken and Rice, so I am eliminating the two. I bought some Natural Balance duck and potato, but I am concerened with the low protein and fat (21/10). Is there a better product that is rice and chicken free? Thanks.

#2 ·
Ernie itched constantly until I took him off dry food. He has been great since. I think it was the wheat and preservatives that upset him.

We have a raw section that will give you lots of help if you want to go that road.

#3 ·
Why does the low protein concern you? 21% is a typical amount for an adult maintenance or hypoallergenic food. Although I also feed raw so the protein amount my dogs consume is probably quite a bit higher, the food I feed has 22% protein and they do very well on it. They are on a hypoallergic food.

Natural Balance is a good food especially if you suspect allergies. The only REAL way to test for food allergies is by an elimination diet, but as most people don't have the time or patience for that, experimentation is often the only way. Push your thoughts about the protein aside (unless he is a working dog that needs a high amount of protein, don't worry about it) and try the Natural Balance. After 6-8 weeks see if there is any improvement.

Don't rule out environmental allergies. Actual food allergies are quite uncommon. Food intolerance's ARE common and they can be mistaken for allergies. Equally, environmental allergies can be mistaken for food allergies. Going to your vets for testing might prove worthwhile...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.