A subject we all love... anal glands!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A subject we all love... anal glands!

alleria is offline Member

DefaultA subject we all love... anal glands!

Hey everyone.. here is my question..

Abby is 1 year and 3 months old.. Sunday she sat next to me on the couch and then I got this whiff of the most horrible smell ever.... it was fishy and sorta irony.. thats the best I can explain it, lol. When she got off the couch, she started licking the spot where her bum was... and I leaned over for a whiff and sure enough the couch smelled horrible! This is the first time this has happened.. Abby's best friend lab has to have her anal glands extracted because they are too far inside..

Abby has food allergies.. started with her ears, then her feet (which we just finished treating her for).. I am in the process of changing her diet from Iams to Natures Recipe, which my vet recommended. I've been smelling that same smell off and on since Sunday.. Last night when I came home from work and left her out of the bedroom (she was sleeping with her daddy) I got a huge whiff :-X.. and then just a little bit ago she came to give me a big kiss with that same smell on her breath. I haven't really noticed any discharge anywhere..

I read on here about giving them pumpkin.. Could that help her? Is it normal for the smell to linger off and on for a couple days or should it be a one time thing? Nothing looks out of the ordinary back there, she is licking more than usual however.

Should I take her and have them extracted? She's a nightmare to take to the vet for just her shots, I can't imagine her letting them do that..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A subject we all love... anal glands!

You don't want to have her anal glands extracted except as a VERY last resort. Maybe you meant that you could have her anal glands expressed? That would be a good idea.

The food change may help her. One of my girls has anal gland problems when she eats food with turkey in it. Since I changed her food she hasn't had to have her anal glands expressed in about eight months now. Prior to the food change she was having it done every 4 weeks or so.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

It's a very common problem for dogs with allergies. Murray used to have his expressed every 5 weeks like clockwork. We've recently started him on allergy injections (his are environmental allergies) and he hasn't needed to go in as often.

Pumpkin might work. Also try marrow bones.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I've noticed that just going through a food switch has done this to a few of my dogs. But once settled in on the diet it went away. It happened twice with just my boy. When he went from Euk LB puppy to another brand and then again when we switched to adult.
    Kim

alleria is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    You don't want to have her anal glands extracted except as a VERY last resort. Maybe you meant that you could have her anal glands expressed? That would be a good idea.

The food change may help her. One of my girls has anal gland problems when she eats food with turkey in it. Since I changed her food she hasn't had to have her anal glands expressed in about eight months now. Prior to the food change she was having it done every 4 weeks or so.
    Whoops! Yeah I ment expressed.. lol..

Dani is offline Senior Member

What are her specific food allergies?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

LiloBellaJasmine is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Dani asked. You need to first narrow done and find
    out with the allergies are. I had a lab/beagle mix that was basically
    allergic to everything but food wise, she couldn't have anything
    with Chicken, wheat, or corn. Even though we kept her on foods
    with none of these, she still had issues. The way her glands were,
    our vet said it didn't matter what we did, she would always have
    problems and need to be expressed. I found when she got no
    table food and just her dog food, she did really good and could
    go about 2 months without being expressed. But usually it was
    a once a month ordeal.
    Dawn from Eastlake, Ohio<br />

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

You could try the pumpkin, it couldn't hurt. Glands sometimes don't get expressed for various reasons. My dog was going to the vet every 3 months to get hers expressed. Vet told us that the reason was they were at a location that didn't allow them to get expressed as easily as most other dogs (I guess that means, like you said, too far inside) We tried pumpkin, metamucil, fiber one cereal! Actually what we found worked, was prunes! She has gone about 7 months so far. Since you never had the problem before, I would start with the pumpkin. Just a tablespoon a day and see how that works for you.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

We tried everything, but to no avail, we were visiting the vet every two weeks, in the end the vet decided it was not fair on Saska or us, and as her anal glands were deep set, he said that we would always have this trouble. In the end he decided to operate. We have been anal gland free everysince, (anal glands what anal glands).

I must admit I was worried about her going through the operation at such a tender age of 10mths, but she has been great. I wonder if it is a common ailment with labs that the anal glands are deep set. Does anybody else have this trouble ???

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnafcb
    We tried everything, but to no avail, we were visiting the vet every two weeks, in the end the vet decided it was not fair on Saska or us, and as her anal glands were deep set, he said that we would always have this trouble. In the end he decided to operate. We have been anal gland free everysince, (anal glands what anal glands).

I must admit I was worried about her going through the operation at such a tender age of 10mths, but she has been great. I wonder if it is a common ailment with labs that the anal glands are deep set. Does anybody else have this trouble ???
    Yes.
    Oona has had problems with her anal glands on and off her whole life. We used to have to go every three weeks to have them expressed. A few years ago I stopped giving her dog biscuts and switched to giving her just a kernal or two of her dry dog food as a treat and I swear the problem stopped for 2 1/2 years. I few weeks ago I let someone at the dog park give her a few biscuts and it started up again. My vet thinks they have nothing to do with each other but I didn't do anything different. Alleria you will need to take Abby in to have them expressed, the vet should put some medicine in them to take care of the bacteria. If your lucky this will be a one time or a sometime thing. If she is anything like Oona you will need at least 3 people holding her, two on each side so she won't fall off the table or try and sit down and one of you holding her by the collar. I would also suggest having the vet muzzle her during the procedure. If she knows she can't bite anyone she will be calmer and the process will go easier and faster. I agree that removing the anal glands should be a last resort, because if its botched the dog will be incontinent. That's why its imperative to find the person in your area that has does these all the time. Last year we switched from Iams to Natures Recipe Lamb, Rice, and Barley. Which are you using?
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast