What Dry dog food would you give your Lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Dry dog food would you give your Lab?

arieldg is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat Dry dog food would you give your Lab?

Just getting some idea what Dry Dog food you guys give your dogs.. I can't manage to decide which brand I should go for. cause I think they are getting sick of the one they been getting. (Authority) Per our Vet, Our labs are in best health and has one of the best shape this vet have seen. Plus Now I am in a tight budget, Any Advice is appeciated.

thanks
    ariel

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What Dry dog food would you give your Lab?

What makes you think are "getting sick" of the current food?
    What are you feeindg?

If the food keeps them healthy, I wouldn't want to tempt fate by hoping around from food to food unless it's not doing the job. Thsi could create picky eaters and changing foods, for some dogs, creates reactions (loose stool)

Having said that, if you are determined to change foods, and the current one has created no issues (allergries, dandruff, loose stool...) i'd stick to one with similiar ingredients.

To answer your question, I feed performatrin ultra because it is a good mixture of value for cost. It's more expensive than the cheaper foods, but has MUCH better ingredients.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Nothing wrong with the food your feeding.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree..if it's working...stick with it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old are your Labs? Their need for higher quantities of food decrease as they approach 12 months age as their rate of growth declines.

Among the cheapest best foods for the price is certainly Kirkland C&R, 40 lbs for about $16-$17 sold at Costco warehouse clubs ($50/yr membership). No corn or wheat. (1st 10 ingredients in order: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat w/Vit E, egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed....)

Many people on this forum feed Kirkland. I do, too, and my only problem with it is that since my Puff eats so little, one 40 lb. bag lasts a LONG time. So after opening, I immediately transfer its contents to 10-11 sealed Ziploc freezer bags to keep it from getting stale.

Diamond Naturals or their Premium Edge are also very similar in formula to the Kirkland and available from a variety of outlets (feed stores, TSC, etc.). You can find distributors nearby through www.diamondpetfood.com

The company that makes Diamond and Premium Edge also makes Kirkland. Prices vary with the seller but generally are about $3-$8/40 lb. bag higher than Costco's Kirkland.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DaisyDixie is offline Member

My older lab Daisy who is 3 is on Authority..She loves it=) I wish I could have Dixie on it as well b/c it's in my price range, but Dixie has a sensitive stomach. So your dogs are sick of authority?

pastorjay is offline Member

Not trying to promote any certain place to purchase, but where else can you get some of these foods. My Riley is on Science Diet at the moment because 2 bags came free with her at our adoption. I have a SAM's nearby that I am a member of, are any of these available there? Thanks for any tips! I will switch her once she gets toward the end of what she has now. Not sure if it does it or not, but this girl has bad gas! Oh my!

Pastorjay --

Go to the Diamond website and look for dealer locations.

I think the Diamond website is http://www.diamondpetfood.com

Their Large Breed Puppy food would be best (IMO) for the first 12 months of age.

Their "Naturals" or "Premium Edge" (in LBP formula) would be best.

Diamond doesn't advertise and depends on word of mouth to boost sales.

I feed Costco's "Kirkland" dog food which is made by the company that makes Diamond. Excellent food, TREMENDOUS price.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

pastorjay is offline Member

Ok, one more question... my Riley supposedly has a little border collie in her, so she is a little smaller. 5 months old and only 17lbs. I am wondering if I should do the Large Breed Puppy Formula, or just do the regular stuff. I did like the price!

I think you could safely feed either a LB puppy food a regular puppy formula but someone like Nick is better qualified to advise you on this than me.

I think the primary difference between the two is that the amount of Calcium and Phosporus is limited in the LBP foods so that the joints don't mature too quickly. I don't think a LBP diet would be harmful to a medium or smaller breed dog, but you could also call the Diamond 800 number and ask or e-mail their veterinarian (Dr. Brookshire) and ask her.

The Diamond Naturals or Premium Edge (made by the same company that makes the Diamond lines) have better ingredients (such as no corn) than the straight Diamond.

For a small dog like Riley, don't get a 40 lb. bag if you can avoid it. OR, IF YOU DO, you might do what I've learned to do with my Puff since she's not a big eater: as soon as the bag is opened, I immediately transfer its contents into 10-11 Ziplock freezer bags and just before completely sealing each top, I suck the remaining air out. Five bags go back in the orignal paper bag; the remainder go into my freezer. The day before a bag from the freezer is needed, I take it out to let it warm up to room temperature. I've done this after finding the food was losing its appetizing appeal about half-way through the bag and trying a variety of other unsuccessful approaches to delay the food going stale.

Also, if you switch Riley over, doing it in a gradual process will reduce puppy tummy upsets, such as 3 parts old : 1 part new for 3- 4 days, then half and half for a similar time, then 1 part old and 3 parts new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast