Question, regaurding Calli?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Question, regaurding Calli?

  1. #1
    Callaway's Avatar
    Callaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,423

    DefaultQuestion, regaurding Calli?

    So, Ive noticed the past week or two, Calli doesnt really finish her evening meal.

    Its the same amount, same time, same everything. What gives. She normally eats with gusto, she does for the morning meal.

    She is fine other than that, no other issues.

    Could she just be full? She will eat about a cup, but leave the rest.

    I dont know, Im going to have the vet check her out next week (shes getting spayed the 19th). Ive just never known a lab to stop eating.

    I thought the food might be taint, but Bogey has no issues with his, or with finishing hers if I dont get to it first.

    Ideas?

    Courtney, Bogey and Calli

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    Default

    I need my memory refreshed- how old is Calli? Caleb pretty much did the same thing at almost a year old. Turns out it was time to cut back on the amount I was feeding. Mick did the same thing when he was ready to go from 3 to 2 meals a day.

  4. #3
    Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lawrence (ex-Topeka), KS
    Posts
    8,472

    Default

    I agree with MicksMom -- how old?

    8 week old pups typically need 2X the kcals/cups food that an adult dog of the same weight would need. As they grow older, that gradually decreases to 1X.

    For example, my Puff gradually increased her food intake from about 1+ cup/day of food when she was 9 weeks old/6 lbs. to 5 cups/day when she was about 7 months age.

    At that time, she began skipping meals, sometimes for several.

    I was surprised but somewhat prepared for this from my reading of several dog health/development books (UC-Davis "Book of Dogs", G&C's "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook").

    So, I respected the decrease, lessened the amount of food offered for each meal each time.

    Gradually, Puff's appetite decreased from 5 cups/day to 2 cups/day.

    I'm fortunate that Puff is one of the rare (about 10%) of Labs that are self-regulating in amount of food intake.

    Most Labs are gluttons and need their owners to restrict the amount they eat for their health.

    Perhaps you also have one of the rarer self-regulating Labs?



    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 05-15-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

    Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    Default

    How big is the bag of food you get? This happend to Sammi and I figured out that her food must of been getting stale before she finished the bag. Invested the money in a airtight container, holds 40lbs of dog food and no more problems with her not eating the food! Good luck- Di

  7. #5
    Callaway's Avatar
    Callaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I need my memory refreshed- how old is Calli? Caleb pretty much did the same thing at almost a year old. Turns out it was time to cut back on the amount I was feeding. Mick did the same thing when he was ready to go from 3 to 2 meals a day.
    She is almost a year.

    She has eaten 3 cups a day since bringing her home(breeder recomendation).

    Courtney, Bogey and Calli

  8. #6
    Callaway's Avatar
    Callaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    I agree with MicksMom -- how old?

    8 week old pups typically need 2X the kcals/cups food that an adult dog of the same weight would need. As they grow older, that gradually decreases to 1X.

    For example, my Puff gradually increased her food intake from about 1+ cup/day of food when she was 9 weeks old/6 lbs. to 5 cups/day when she was about 7 months age.

    At that time, she began skipping meals, sometimes for several.

    I was surprised but somewhat prepared for this from my reading of several dog health/development books (UC-Davis "Book of Dogs", G&C's "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook").

    So, I respected the decrease, lessened the amount of food offered for each meal each time.

    Gradually, Puff's appetite decreased from 5 cups/day to 2 cups/day.

    I'm fortunate that Puff is one of the rare (about 10%) of Labs that are self-regulating in amount of food intake.

    Most Labs are gluttons and need their owners to restrict the amount they eat for their health.

    Perhaps you also have one of the rarer self-regulating Labs?



    You know, its what Im thinking. But Im gona try and cut back her food a little and see what happens.

    Courtney, Bogey and Calli

  9. #7
    Callaway's Avatar
    Callaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dipete View Post
    How big is the bag of food you get? This happend to Sammi and I figured out that her food must of been getting stale before she finished the bag. Invested the money in a airtight container, holds 40lbs of dog food and no more problems with her not eating the food! Good luck- Di
    I get the big bag. But it was just opened, and I do use a container. It doesnt smell or anything, and Bogey has no issue at all with it.

    I dont know. I guess Im just a worrier. She isnt going to starve herself.

    Courtney, Bogey and Calli

  10. #8
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    She is almost a year.

    She has eaten 3 cups a day since bringing her home(breeder recomendation).
    She's probably ready to be cut back. As long as she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry.

Similar Threads

  1. Bogey and Calli
    By Callaway in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
  2. Calli in her pants :) !
    By Callaway in forum Photo Album
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
  3. Serious Calli (pics)
    By Callaway in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25