Dog with allergies - WHAT TO DO?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog with allergies - WHAT TO DO?

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog with allergies - WHAT TO DO?

I volunteer for a lab rescue, and one of the reasons why many people surrender their labs is allergies. It is extremely hard for us to place these dogs. I wonder if any of you have experience with dogs that are allergic (they are itchy, ear infections, etc.).
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog with allergies - WHAT TO DO?

Last winter was really hard on Oona. It seems like we were always going back to the vet for a yeast infection or a bacterial infection in her ears. It was so bad she had a hot spot on her neck and I stopped letting her swim in October rather than November. Our breeder said the most likely possibility to allergies without having her tested were to wheat and corn. At the time I was feeding her Iams which does have wheat and corn as major ingredients in their food. In March I switched Oona over to Nature's Recipe Lamb Barley and Rice because they are corn and wheat free. We still have some issues with the ears but no where near what they were last year.
    Olie

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Are they claiming the dog has allergies or THEY have allergies to their dog?

My first thought is...they are lying. Just something most people say when they dump their dogs off.

I delt with this for years with my oldest. Ran the gammet of every dog food change you can think of, ect. Her problems got worse. Bacterial skin ( on her feet, stomach) infections and bacterial infections in her gut. Started at about 9-10 months old.
    We finally got it under control with prednisolone in late 2004 and the vet feels it is autoimmune related. But from there they progressed to other problems and found she had hypothyroidism (an autoimmune disease) in 2005.

But for the most part I think these things are seasonal and atopic. Often triggered by diet but rarely food related and do not warrent a diet change.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs

My first thought is...they are lying. Just something most people say when they dump their dogs off.
    Yes, you are right, many times this is the case. I always hear that someone got terribly allergic to the dog, and they cannot keep him. Then they pop out a sentence that sais "and it would be nice if he went to a family that has MORE time for him".
    Anyway, this dog that I am talking about has been recently adopted from someone who did not give full information (how serious it was) about his health to the new owner. I am trying to help them figure out what to do.

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

i'd switch him to grain free food first (or raw diet) as ssoooo many dogs can not tolerate grains well at all.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loriwolfelabluv
    i'd switch him to grain free food first (or raw diet) as ssoooo many dogs can not tolerate grains well at all.
    That's not really true, but the result will still be the same. Actually beef is higher on the list of allergens than most grains (including corn). Wheat is about the only grain that is high up there, but it's probably easier just to eliminate them all.

One problem is that food allergies comprise roughly 5% of allergies, by far environmental allergies and allergic reactions to fleas are more common. Sometimes there's just not much you can do with environmental allergies.

I just noticed before I posted that I'm repeating someone, but:
    But for the most part I think these things are seasonal and atopic. Often triggered by diet but rarely food related and do not warrent a diet change.
    I'd have to agree with that to a large extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Nick, if that is that case - do you know of possible solutions?

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Have you ever looked at www.greatdanelady.com ? She has lots of excellent information to offer, especially regarding diets and supplements.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

FinnsMom is offline Junior Member

My lab had crazy allergies from the start - bad ears, itching, etc.. We switched him to duck and potato kibble (Natural Choice) and it definitely improved.

As for as the ears go - we have had vets telling us forever to use ear wash and that lubricant. It never worked - always came right back, even worse (not to mention he HATES it). The last vet said to skip the wash, just fill his ears with the lubricant, massage them and let him shake out the excess. He is a NEW dog! Has not touched his ears in a long time.

Can't remember the name of the lubricant stuff - it's pretty general though - I'm sure you probably have it already.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHOCOLATA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Nick, if that is that case - do you know of possible solutions?
    Well they can allergy test the dog. Otherwise if this is just an ear issue I would just clear it up with meds and put the dog on a good quality kibble (of which there are dozens to pick from). Itching, well that could be a zillion things. Mine are itchy at times and right now is one of those times. It is SO stinking dry here in Feb and I have the heat just a blazing during the day - if you call 68 blazing and 64 at night. My skin is flaking off and itchy and I just noticed it on one of my dogs. So I started putting flaxseed oil in their food.

There is an ear cleanse that I have used from the vet and not had success and it was not cheep. It was a two system thing. I don't recall what it was. I do better now with the Purple ear cleaner or I purchase an herbal ear wash by Halo. For pesky problems with yeast in ears I use Malotic (also known as Otomax, Tri-Otic.)
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast