Reba diarrhea - new problem now

Thread: Reba diarrhea - new problem now

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultReba diarrhea - new problem now

This morning's poop looked entirely normal. That is the good news. The bad news is that she would not eat her breakfast. That has never happened in nearly 8 years. Unfortunately I did not see the immediate response to the food. I set it down and she appeared to be eager to eat. The famous little bounce of eagerness. The next minute I looked she was lying in the middle of the floor about 3 feet from the bowl. It was untouched. The little scoop of canned dog food still on top.

She seems to be feeling well one minute and then lying down and not feeling well. All kinds of things going thru my head from heart, stroke, seizure.

Reba has had seizures in the past, but there was never any question about whether it was a seizure or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

There may be something wrong with the food itself. Check the expiration date. Smell it, does it smell any different?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It could also just be that whatever gave her the squirts has moved up her gut and she feels lousy. I would stop the dog food, try rice with a little boiled ground chicken and see if she eats that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

^
    |

What Sharon said. Rest the gut for a few days.

Laura

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

My regular vet was out on large animal calls this morning and paranoia got the best of me. I took Reba to the emergency vet clinic and blood tests were done - CBC, some other one, and a thyroid.

They just called back with the first two results. Liver enzymes up perhaps indicating pancreatitis. Suppose to cook her up some rice and cooked beef with the grease rinsed off.

The one that concerned them most was a low platelet (clotting or lack thereof). They asked about rat poison, but we do not have any rat or mice poison around here. We love our barn cat. They want to recheck the platelet count on Monday.

Any advice on quantity of rice that is to be fed? She has been getting chicken and rice as well as pumpkin this week for her diarrhea.

Since she had a slight temp this morning, the emergency vet prescribed amoxicillin and methrosiode (sp).

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Could she have gotten into poison at a neighbors? I had a dog poisoned and she got it by the railroad tracks near my husbands old shop.

I would give her 3/4 rice and 1/4 meat until she has improved some. I would also stick with the chicken as it is easier for a lot of dogs to digest - but she'd probably be OK with rinsed beef.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.