Different food, same problem
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different food, same problem

Fletchs Pop is offline Senior Member

DefaultDifferent food, same problem

When I got my pup he was on diamond regular. He had soft stool. I couldn't get regular diamond around my house so i switched him to CN Cand R and his stool became progressively worse. He didn't really have an appetite and when his individual ribs were starting to become visible I switched him off that and onto Science Diet I/D. His appettite shot up and he put on weight. His stool hardened for the first time.

After 4 or 5 days I started putting Kirkland C and R in his food and his stool stayed pretty hard. I removed the wet food and his he's back to diarrhea.

He has been tested by the vet and I have a deworm to give him this weekend.

Any suggestions.
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you donít need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Different food, same problem

Kirkland and Diamond are the same food. Sounds like he's not a fan of Chicken. How fast did you switch him over? Was it gradual or instant.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Could you be doing to much food flopping? Stick to a kibble for a few months with no changes and see how it goes.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It wasn't diamond natural it was regular diamond. I gradually took him off it.

My concern with waiting is he's 11 weeks old and never really showed much interest in food until i put him on the wet stuff then he went crazy for food, begging, running to his bowl every 2 minutes like he'd never eaten.

I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you donít need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

Dani is offline Senior Member

11 weeks is way too young to be flopping all over the place with food. Pick one and keep with it for awhile. If you are deworming him, that means he has a parasite...which one is it?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

There is no rule that says your lab has to go crazy over food when you put it down. My male loves his food but really paces himself. One of the first to be fed and still the last to finish up.
    Now if I were to put some human food or canned in with his kibble he would probably woof it down as well.

Your pup is young! Don't keep changing diet, even gradually change overs are going to upset its tummy. Feed what it was sent home on or find something that compares.
    Kim

He was sent home with Diamond Puppy. I can't find it anywhere in my area (Washington, DC)

I switched him to CN over a period of 2 weeks. (Bear in mind, at not time during this had he had a firm stool.) Towards the end of the switch (90% CN 10% Diamond puppy) his stool became explosive diarrhea. I kept him on it for 3 days after which I felt he was losing weight. I called my vet and she said that his last stool sample (3 days earlier) was clear of everything. She suggested I put him on Science Diet I/D for a few days.

When I did that he had solid stool for the first time since i got him. I have slowly been integrating in the Kirklands (Which I chose because of it's the closest thing i could get to diamond puppy) but he's back to diarrhea.

Just give it some time and if the pup has Giardia it does not always show up in the stool sample. My vet usually treats for it regardless.
    Kim

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

How old is he; from the pic, still looks like a young puppy. Have you tried Eukanuba or ProPlan large breed puppy food? It's possible he has giardia and it just has not cleared up. It's hard to find that it stool tests sometimes. I'd try the large breed puppy with a fiber content of at least 4% and stick with that for at least 6 weeks. At the same time, see if your vet will give you Panacur for giardia. Zoe had a horrible time with loose stools as a puppy, so I know your frustration. Don't give him yogurt or any diary products either and watch what treats ... in fact, I'd get the same treats as what food you are using for the 6 weeks and see if any changes. Bananas and pumpkin (and the cookie treats) are the only things I would let him have in kongs for a while. Zoe still has a sensitive tummy; I put probiotics on her food now as when she gets a bone or anything outside of her regular diet, she gets a grumbling stomach.

Thanks for all the advice. I asked specifically to have the stool sample to be sent out for the special dye test for Giardia. Following Bob's advice I got the Vetrinary guide and asked my vet about the Giardia showing up in 1 in 3 tests.

My only reason for not thinking it's Giardia is that when put on the Soft food his stool firmed right up. I'm not sure what the deworming medicine is. I know it's yellow. (I have a tube to give him on the 3rd per the vets instruction.)

Do you think it's advisable to feed him the wet food in the morning and the dry kibble at lunch and dinner? I'm careful to measure out the food to the correct amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast