New dog food making pup drink more water??

Thread: New dog food making pup drink more water??

Bolts21 is offline Member

DefaultNew dog food making pup drink more water??

I switched over from Pro Plan to Innova (allergies) and we just noticed Monday that he goes through 6-8 bowls a day. I never noticed this until this week and his allergies seem better. It's been three weeks since we switched him over. Is this type of water intake normal? What else can cause it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New dog food making pup drink more water??

What kind of bowls are we talking about? I have the large stainless steel bowls (probably a quart or two) and Jes doesn't even go through one in a day unless it's hot outside. 6-8 regular sized water bowls sounds very excessive.

ks02 is offline Senior Member

I have no advice to offer, but after reading your post I got to thinking...I have been mixing Innova EVO red meat with Riley's dry food to transition and noticed he has been drinking more water as well. The actual amount of Innova I'm feeding is really pretty small (maybe 1/2 cup total a day) because he is primarily raw fed and it is still mixed with his old food until that is gone, and I have still noticed an increase in his water consumption.
    The only possible thing I can think of is that his energy also seems to have increased lately...I don't know if it is due to the food change or just a developmental thing he is going through, but maybe the increased activity is making him more thirsty?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bolts21 is offline Member

Yes, they are regular sized bowles. We were gone for 4 days and left him with the in laws, so maybe he was stressed and didn't drink as much as usual and is now playing catch up?

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Maybe so, but if it continues I would be concerned. That's a lot of water. How often is he urinating?