Need a Good Senior or Light Diet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Good Senior or Light Diet

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed a Good Senior or Light Diet

Because of Buddy's kidney issues and the fact that he's 6 now, the vet wants me to put him on a senior or light diet. I usually feed Purina O.N.E. L&R. The O.N.E. senior and light both have corn in them. Does anyone know of a good senior or light without corn or wheat that they would recommend? He needs something lower in protein because of his kidneys and calories because of his weight.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need a Good Senior or Light Diet

I don't have any suggestions really but I thought this might help you out a bit.

http://b-naturals.com/Apr2003.php
    Kim

Thanks for the article. Years ago a premium dog food usually had 22-24% protein. These days 28-30% is the norm. This is too much protein for anything other than a working dog, especially a senior or couch potato dog. Even the weight management and senior diet that I looked at had 28% an 25% respectively. I'm looking for a good food in the 22% range.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Monnie, you might want to check out Eagle Pack's fish food - I think it is Sardine, Anchovy, and Salmon, or something to that effect. Www.eaglepack.com

Thanks, I check it out.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why does your vet want him on a light formula? does he have to loose weight?

California Natural are a good line of foods to look into. Their Chicken and Rice has 22% protein and 11% fat which sounds as though it might be suitable for Buddy. They do have a reduced calorie formula but at 18% protein it is a little too low for my liking.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Timberwolf Organics also make a 22% protein formula but I can imagine the average dog who got switched from Purina to Timberwolf would have some problems in the poopy department for a while.

Caseys Mom Guest

This is too much protein for anything other than a working dog, especially a senior or couch potato dog.
    The thinking on what are appropriate protein levels for seniors and dogs with kidney problems seems to have changed with more current research over the past few years. You might want to read the article Laura posted in this thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,2060.0.html

It was an eye opener for me.

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Diamond Naturals has a decent senior formula. Protein levels are in the range of the article that laura posted. I generally not a fan of a food that has a grain as a primary ingredient, cooked chicken and rice has a soothing effect of a dogs stomach, so in this case it may not be all bad.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...8_dog_formula/

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    Diamond Naturals has a decent senior formula. Protein levels are in the range of the article that laura posted. I generally not a fan of a food that has a grain as a primary ingredient, cooked chicken and rice has a soothing effect of a dogs stomach, so in this case it may not be all bad.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...8_dog_formula/
    Whole grain brown rice is not a terrible first ingredient. In fact it is a staple in my own diet.
    It is a good protein and fiber source.

I started feeding my gal ProPlan senior because she was not holding weight and started eliminated a lot more on ProPlan S/S/S. She has been doing super on it. Theory was she was no longer utilizing her food the way she should due to age, health and being medicated. I was sceptical, but so far things are great!
    I love Diamond and their products, and use it with the youngsteres, but I went with PP in this case I guess because of the research done.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast