Is it ok to limit water intake?

Thread: Is it ok to limit water intake?

DOGTIRED is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs it ok to limit water intake?

Hi, I'm taking care of a family's 5 year old lab for the next 7 month's while they are out of the country. This dog drinks so much more then the other breed dogs I've had. As a result he wants to "go out" very frequently. Is this a common Lab trait and is it OK to pick up his water dish occasionally so that he can't drink any more?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it ok to limit water intake?

well, in new situations, dogs will always drink alot until they settle in. So, if this is your first day, then it's normal. Some dogs drink alot. I guess you could limit it...but why?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

Are you going to be with him all the time during the day, or is he crate trained?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DOGTIRED is offline Junior Member

"Duke" has already been with us for several weeks and seems to have settled in ok so I don't think he would be drinking so much because he is still settling in. The reason I'm concerned is just that he wakes me up during the night to go out and really pees alot when he goes during the night.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We've never limited water.

There could be two things at play here...the family that owns the dog may never have set the rules about when you go out potty. And dogs do know how to play their owners. If I don't get Maddy out to pee around 10 or 11PM, I can be SURE she'll be waking me up at 2:30AM to go. Sometimes she refuses to go and I know she'll be waking me... If they never taught the dog that last potty call is 10 PM, it might be used to just waking up the owners to go when it feels it has to.

OR, possibly there could be health issues. Drinking alot and frequent urination could be a sign of diabetes. I wonder if there is a way for you to find out if the dog has been checked for that or not.

SarahS is offline Junior Member

My dog drank frequently. It caused a lot of trouble when we were potty-training her. Eventually, we took her to a university vet hospital. She was diagnosed with Polyuria Polydipsia, a condition which creates an urge to drink constantly. It is important to note, however, that this diagnosis came after several tests for other conditions (kidney disease, bladder infection, etc.). My vet calculated how much water she should drink each day and I measure it out at each meal. She's 50 lbs. and receives a total of 2.5 cups each day. Of course, sometimes she gets supplemental water on hot days or when we visit a dog park, but for the most part her intake is controlled.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The first thing I would worry about is bloat. I might pick up the dish if he was drinking excessively, but offer it again in about a half hour just to slow him down.
    Olie

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I would never limit a grown dog's water intake. The only time I limit water is if I am housetraining a puppy, and then I only take up the water bowl at night.

I would be concerned that there is a health issue going on here. I would contact the dog's owners and tell them that he needs to be evaluted by a vet. One of my friends has a dog that drank and urinated excessively and it turns out he has Addison's disease.

tripleyellow is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't limit it but would put a call into my vet's office as a precaution.