How to figure out what kibble to feed

Thread: How to figure out what kibble to feed

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to figure out what kibble to feed

I've been feeding Bo Nutro Natural choice Lamb & RIce. He likes it fine (he'd probably eat a bowl of sawdust, I'm guessing), but his poop is kinda soft. No diarrhea, but just softer than I'd like. It's messy to clean up.
    What is it about a kibble that makes it more or less likely to give firm vs. loose poop? I've been checking ingredients on various brands, and Nutro doesn't seem to have too many. He is allergic and has ear infections, but I don't know if it's a food thing- I hope not. I suspect it's an allergy to our grass or trees.
    Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to figure out what kibble to feed

What is it about a kibble that makes it more or less likely to give firm vs. loose poop?
    Impossible to say...different dogs react to different things. Therefore no one can recommend an individual brand and say it will work for your dog.

I think if Bo is having mushy poops and persitant ear infections, it it probably a good idea to consider switching.

What foods do you have available in your area? again, there are so many good dog foods on the market that throwing brand names in your face is a bit pointless.

This website is good for information on what to look for and what to avoid in dog food: www.dogfoodproject.com

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

It could be something simple like the fiber content. I also had softer stool on my dogs when i for a short time did Nutro L&R long ago. All my dogs get a kibble with approx. 3% Fiber. But fiber is not closely regulated so it may so Maximum fiber 5% or minimum 3%.

Now when I look at a dog food I look at the Guaranteed Analysis first, ingredients second, and cost and availability last.

My dogs do wonderful on Diamond Premium and ProPlan.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

I know this is really basic, but- would mushy poops indicate too much fiber or too little? Putting more fiber in his diet wouldn't be too hard but to get less, I guess need to switch his main food.
    I'm in the SF Bay area, so finding various types of food isn't a problem. Also, I wasn't looking for a brand name, but rather an idea of which way to go with content. Thx.

Too much fiber can cause diarrhea. I believe the max levels in Nutro are about 5%.
    Brand like Proplan has a max of 3%
    Kim

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

With my dogs, I have found that the fiber content of food does not make nearly as much difference in poops as the protein source and other ingredients. I have fed 3% fiber foods that my dogs have great poops with, and I have fed 3% protein foods that my dogs have consistently soft poops with. I think soft poops are sometimes a sign of a food intolerance. You may want to try another food, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the fiber content, perhaps try another food with a different protein source than the one you are currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    With my dogs, I have found that the fiber content of food does not make nearly as much difference in poops as the protein source and other ingredients. I have fed 3% fiber foods that my dogs have great poops with, and I have fed 3% protein foods that my dogs have consistently soft poops with. I think soft poops are sometimes a sign of a food intolerance. You may want to try another food, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the fiber content, perhaps try another food with a different protein source than the one you are currently using.
    Susan, I think you are party correct also. I think many things can factor in. Two of my dogs have been weaned on Euk LB Puppy but for some reason when they get here they both did not do well on it. One was moved to Nutro Nat LB the other I fed Professional Pet LB (Diamond make) food. The boy on Nutro I was still not pleased over and finally at about 8 months he was put on Diamond and all was well. Both Euk LB and Nutro list a higher max fiber. Since the ingredients did not change too much, I assume it was fiber.
    Euk has a max of 5% and Proplan 6%.
    But I also have to assume there may have been some other problem as well since the difference in fiber from Euk to the Professional is not that great. But since nothing in the ingredients in either food jumps out at me, I pegged it on the fiber.
    FWIW I really liked the Professional LB puppy. My Lily did great on it and when we switched her to adult Diamond it was a smooth transition.

BTW the dog in your siggy is very pretty.
    Kim

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs

BTW the dog in your siggy is very pretty.
    Thanks!