getting a good smelling dog

Thread: getting a good smelling dog

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

Defaultgetting a good smelling dog

I know not to bathe Barnsley with shampoo unless absolutely necessary since I have read all the posts on that. He has had maybe 2 baths in the last year with shampoo. Since he can get really doggy smelling and that of course makes my house, carpet and furniture doggy smelling I have a few questions. This is the typical doggy smell. His ears are okay and we haven't changed food or anything.

1. Does bathing them with plain water help with the doggy smell and is it okay to do this more frequently?

2. If you do the listerine and water thing do you just spritz them a couple times like perfume or get them covered with the stuff and towel it off.

3. If any one else has tips on this please give us advice
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: getting a good smelling dog

I use mainly plain water and then towel Puff dry immediately after.

When she's dry right after, I like her aroma.

I use dog shampoo just for spot cleaning.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

The "dog" smell is the natural oils in their coat and is actually a good sign. Its what gives their coat that healthy glow and water repellant nature. We have used the "spray on bath" stuff with limited results. Its just one of those things that you have to deal with when you have inside dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The Listerine water combo you spray them really good with it and towel them off. Just make sure you don't get it in the eyes.
    Olie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I guess the dog smell is subjective. Mine smell like dogs, but I don't think they stink. You might have to get someone with an objective opinion to smell your dog. If it's just plain old dog smell, you can wipe the dog with a baby wipe or get doggy perfume. But an excessively stinky dog could be health/food related. You'll have to figure that out on your own however....

SarahS is offline Junior Member

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm not a fan of "doggie smell." I love "buddy splash" by Cloud Star. I spray it liberally and rub it into her coat about once a week. It seems to remove odor without making her smell like I poured a bottle of perfume on her head.

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

I can't stand a dog smell on Bailey or in my house, on my furniture, etc. She sleeps with us and I'm not having my bed smell doggy either.

If you use plain water and really get down in her fur it'll wash all the smell away. My husband and I both agree that she smells super doggy when she's just hosed down and is wet, but when she dries, she smells so clean it's hard to believe we didn't bathe her. We have hot and cold water hooked up outside on the deck so it's not that hard to rinse her off. In between we use bounce dryer sheets. They make her smell great, too.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't know "the" answer, but I do know that the doggy smell is often diet related. Also, it does depend on the individual. Two of my self regulating dogs have no doggy odour at all. My walking food disposals DO have a doggy odour. Feeding half raw has significantly reduced this though...they barely smell at all now.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

All of mine eat the same food and it's strange....some have "frito feet" and some don't. Only Jake has a "doggie" smell and he has the most oils in his coat and a much thicker coat. Zoe, at times, still smells like a puppy. I constantly hug Dutch and tell him he smells sooooooooooooooo good.... he also doesn't have frito feet ... come to think of it, only my two girls do. Frito feet is also another "diet" related issue.

I think it also depends on how much time they spend outdoors and what they do out there. If they are constantly in dirt, mud, etc.; they are gonna smell more than one who typically goes for daily walks on concrete and lounges around the house.

I haven't given any of mine a bad in a long, long time. I use the wipes from Petsmart if they go out and get dirt on them. They smell nice and the dogs enjoy getting massaged with them.