Vommiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

Thread: Vommiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

RockWVU is offline Junior Member

DefaultVommiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

Marley, our 8 month male yellow lab, has started vommiting when we place him in his crate before we leave in the morning.
    He is fed about an hour before, hangs out with my wife while she gets ready for work, goes outside to potty, then goes to crate when she leaves. He now throws up a little bit, like he's so upset that he'll be home alone for about 6 hours.
    He doesnt do this on weekends or if one of us is off during the week.
    He doesnt do it at night when he sleeps in the crate.
    He doesnt do it if we just leave for a couple hours say in the evening for dinner.

It's like he knows 645am, mommy leaves, he gets so sad he barfs then eats it again, gross!

Anyone have any ideas?

I have tried feeding him up to 2.5 hours before my wife leaves to no avail.
    He's perfectly healthy and has no other problems.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vomiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

Dr. McConnell's booklet on separation anxiety ("I'll Be Home Soon") might give you the techniques to solve this:

http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/books-retail.php
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vommiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

I just read a bunch of articles on separation anxiety and what to do to try and help your dog. All the solutions were the same but i did not find them helpful, at least not for your case. Many of the articles suggested "practice departures" before actually leaving teh household for long periods of time. This can only be done two days a week for those who work five days out of the week and have to leave their dog alone without getting them use to departure cues. So I don't think that method would work for you. Also many articles suggested crate training... well obviously you have covered that. While this may be a case of separation anxiety since he does not vomit his food at other times, still you want to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him. Is he throwing up his food? or does it appear to be liquid, is there color to it. What do you feed him?
    If that can be ruled out then your left to deal with the separation anxiety. where is the dog exactly while you are getting ready? is he in his crate already? does he experience distress only when he is put in his crate? does he show signs of nervousness before he goes into the crate?
    Perhaps feeding him in the evening time will keep him from vomiting his food in the morning. Although there are some things to consider with that. If he truely is vomiting to do stress and he tries to throw up with nothing on his stomach, that can do more harm than good possibly so thats something to think about.
    I hope you find a solution soon, good luck
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RockWVU is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Vommiting when we leave, separation anxiety?

Well, we tried something different today and it worked so far.
    We let him out of his crate at bedtime. He was shut in our bedroom with us (we keep his crate in our room, too). Although he ended up going in the crate on his own. I let him loose in the house for about 2 hrs before being crated by my wife before work.

He hangs around us when we get ready and isnt placed in the crate till the last minute. He sometimes runs when it's time to go in.