More Protein

Thread: More Protein

widespot is offline Member

DefaultMore Protein

Max has had a bag of NB Sweet Potato and Salmon and he has been doing pretty well. It is time for more food (I have enough to switch) and I was think of trying to find something with more protein, made for large breeds, plus I read that the nightshade family isn't good for arthritic dogs.

He has bad hips (he's only 10 months) and takes glucosamine daily in pill form and that seems to help since he is more active and ready to fo in the morning.

The food I was most likely going to try was Innova Large Breed, which I can easily get a half mile from here.

Any other suggestions that a person can get without mail ordering? Any experience with this food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: More Protein

At this age, I wouldn't let the "Large Breed" designation control your choices. I think you're making a good choice getting away from the potato-based foods, there's quite a bit of evidence that it's not good for arthritic dogs. Unfortunately, that eliminates the Innova line of foods.

Can you get Eagle Pack foods? The Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken has 26% protein, and no potatoes.

Thanks Nick, the same store sells Eagle Pack. I will check that out.

It looks like the LB Innova might leave out Potato?

Ingredients
    Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed Meal, Herring Oil, Sunflower Oil, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Egg, Garlic, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would ignore LB adult formula's altogether. They don't add enough G and C to make a difference and you are better off supplementing your own.

I would get a good regular adult formula (Eagle Pack or regular Innova adult, if no potato in it) and focus on adding good supplements. We do G/C/MSM/Glycoflex/fish oil....

I was at the pet store and checked the labels. Innova LB did have Potato, so I am going to try Canidae chicken and rice 26% protein.