licking & chewing - Allergies?

Thread: licking & chewing - Allergies?

STEM is offline Junior Member

Defaultlicking & chewing - Allergies?

We have an eleven year old chocolate lab - "Rock". He's a lovable, gentle boy ... our problem is he has started licking and chewing his feet - now has bald patches. My stepson took him to his mother's to visit and he came home with fleas - that problem is now solved, but the licking and chewing continues. Can anyone offer suggestions - it is frustrating for him and all of us. I want to do what I can to stop this and make him more comfortable. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: licking & chewing - Allergies?

It is unlikely that allergies have developed suddenly due to his age.

What did you treat the fleas with? also, what do you feed him on? any diet changes? has this ever happened before?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Are you in the snowbelt? Are they putting road salt on the sidewalks or roads?
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

STEM is offline Junior Member

He developed this problem and has continued it for almost a year. We changed his diet to "Natural Choice" dry food. He seems to have slowed down now, but not completely. We do live in the snow belt. First the Niagara Region now Burlington, Ontario. I read other info on this site about natural foods with low carbs and high protein...that's why we changed the past two months to "NC". Seems to have helped but, what else could it be? It sure can't be the flea control because he hasn't had any treatment all winter. Thanks for all the help!

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Food allergies are actually not that common - I think it's only about 10% of allergies are related to food. He may have an allergy to fleas - did you treat him with fleas preventative, wash all his bedding, vacuum the carpet, etc? Also wipe off his paws before taking him inside - he may be allergic to something outside.