Chocolata - Lump = mast cell tumor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolata - Lump = mast cell tumor

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

DefaultChocolata - Lump = mast cell tumor

I posted a few weeks ago about a little lump we found. I went to a different vet today, because our fancy city vet did not know what it was even after sending for cytology.The other vet looked at the stuff under microscope and told me that this is mast cell tumor (type of skin cancer). :'( He said that most of the times it is removed, and the dog is ok, and it does not return. I am scared Chocolata is only 1.5 years old. She is having it removed on Tuesday. Does anyone else has experience with this?
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chocolata - Lump = mass tumor

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

I don't know anything about it.

Sending good thoughts and hope your furbaby is well soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chocolata - Lump = mass tumor

Poor baby.

Sending good thoughts for Chocolata and you. Please keep us posted.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Chocolata - Lump = mast cell tumor

Thanks guys! I found some info online, and the picture of the cell they have is the same that the vet showed me under the microscope. The tumor Chocolata has is very small, probably size of soybean. Sometimes it is bigger when it is stimulated. http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/mct.htm

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. Sending good thoughts for Chocolata.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

kjustiss Guest

My dog has been through a similar surgery twice now, but for a benign tumor. Your vet will probably leave a drain in so that the skin can reattach well and not leave an area for a new tumor to grow. You will have to invest in lots of gauze pads, gauze wrap and some stretchy ace bandage type wrappings, and plenty of tape...your pharmacy or Target will have this stuff in the first aid section. My dog didn't do well with the "lamp shade" collar, so we put on a regular white tee shirt over the bandages so he couldn't try to tear them off. Just buy a small size and tape up the ends, it works really well. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kjustiss
    My dog has been through a similar surgery twice now, but for a benign tumor. Your vet will probably leave a drain in so that the skin can reattach well and not leave an area for a new tumor to grow. You will have to invest in lots of gauze pads, gauze wrap and some stretchy ace bandage type wrappings, and plenty of tape...your pharmacy or Target will have this stuff in the first aid section. My dog didn't do well with the "lamp shade" collar, so we put on a regular white tee shirt over the bandages so he couldn't try to tear them off. Just buy a small size and tape up the ends, it works really well. Good luck.
    Hi, thank you for the tips. i am sorry to hear that your pup is going through similar stuff. Chocolata has her lump in her armpit - I hope she won' t be able to get to it there. I will go "first aid shopping" tonight. I certainly hope our is also benign, but will know more after it is removed. The vet told me, that it should not come back. Did yours come back? I am so scared, she is only 1.5 yrs old, we only adopted her in the summer.

kjustiss Guest

Roscoe's did grow back, but in a different way altogether. He supposedly had a benign fatty tumor, so the first one we removed was just a fat pocket that was easily "scooped" out. After one year, another one began to grow back, however it was intermingled with the muscle and more difficult to remove. Yours sounds like it is different from Roscoe's and may not come back at all. Just be prepared to handle the bandages, and any reactions she may have to the medicine. Roscoe was kind of like us on pain medicine, he acted a little woozy. Dogs heal really quickly, your pup will be doing great in no time.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Hi Chocolata

Sorry to hear that your lab has a mast cell tumour.

My choco lab got her first mast cell tumour when she was 2 years old. Unfortunately, she seems to be prone to them and has had 9 removed in the past three years. She is now 5 years old.

We were told that if a dog gets them young then they will probably get more and if a dog gets them say at around age 7 or 8 they might not get another.

My labs mast cell tumours have all been grade l and all completely removed. The advice that I was given is that you must make sure that the vet gives them a shot of Benedryl before the tumour is removed during surgery to prevent any histamines from spreading. Also, my lab takes a daily antihistamine.

Is your dog itchy often? Either seasonally or everyday??
    What do you feed your lab?
    Has the lump changed in size or colour since you noticed it? Or does it change daily?
    Does your lab have any allergies?
    What do you use for heart worm prevention?

The best advice I can give you is to check her over frequently for lumps or stange looking spots. We have checked our dog over lots of times and found some that were nothing, just bug bities and some that were the mast cell tumours.
    If you find a lump have it checked out right away. The sooner you have them removed the better.

You can either have the suspicious lumps aspirated to see if it truly is a mast cell tumour or just removed. We have done both. I have got to know now though what a mast cell tumour looks like so we normally just have them removed first which can save the costs of having them aspirated first and then removing them later.

Yes, it has been expensive but our lab is worth every penny that we have spent!! She is a dear.

Good luck. Let us know what the lump turns out to be.

Thinking of you and your lab.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Mocha had one that looked a lot like the pictures on the site you posted when she was about 9 months old. It was removed and I've not seen anything like it since then. She's 2 1/2 now I hope I don't see another one but I normally check her over daily anyway while I'm loving on her. Mocha's was on her butt about an inch to the right of center
    It healed up well after surgery it was probably about 1/2" in diameter
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast