chocco_23 Guest

DefaultWashing

How often are you meant to wash a lab?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fletchs Pop is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Washing

It depends. I guess the answer is as little as possible. Washing a lab with any type of soap/shampoo rids them of their natural oils and dries out their coat. Good grooming will get rid of older fur and spread their natural oils.

If you can spray them down or wash in water without soap that is the best. If they really need a bath use a sensitive skin or something ph'd for dogs.
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you don’t need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

chocco_23 Guest

Thats OK,
    I only wash Belle when she is really dirty nd was just wondering if you were meant to wash them regularly.
    Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The only time Oona gets a bath is if she rolls in something fowl. During the summer she swims everyday. One thing you can do is take a spray bottle fill it half with water and half with Listerine and spritz your dog with it and towel him/her off. Just make sure to avoid the eyes.
    Olie

imported_Nate is offline Member

i use a lot of dog perfume.

K9-32 Guest

I am made to understand by Joe's vet and his groomer that how often to bath our labs is dependant upon many factors, thus it is difficult to suggest any hard and fast rules that all of us should follow. What works for one is highly unlikely to work for all, and you should feel comfortable with relying your own observations and gut instincts.

My Joe, who is a working dog who spends a few hours of almost every day in the out of doors (woods, lakes, rivers, open fields, you name it), lacks any detectable "doggy odor" (though he is only three and this can change as he ages), even when he is dirty; has a wonderfully hard coat that defies the clingiest of dirt particles, all of which fly off when he shakes; and has a diet designed, in part, to address the systemic needs associated with the sensitive skin and wonderfully water-defying coat of his breed. As such, Joe is bathed only when I detect a "waxy" build up that rolls from my fingers when I scratch the base of his tail. This usually occurs only once every 6 weeks or so.

Because getting a lab wet to the skin can be a real trick, I take Joe to a groomer who uses a cleaner that does not strip the oil from his coat, but actually works with the natural production of healthy oils associated with healthy lab skin. I also brush him daily and strip his coat once a week to prevent dead fur buildup at the skin level, which can be a breeding ground for yeasts in this susceptible breed, and often leads to flaking and itchiness. The result is a dog with a highly protective coat, no itchiness, almost no flaky skin, and a truly stunning appearance... Not that I'm proud of him or anything.

This is, of course, just my experience. Individual results will vary....

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, if you regularly brush them, you shouldn't really need to bathe them at all. Rider has had exactly 4 bathes in his 3.5 years. Even if he gets muddy, I just rinse him down, no shampoo....and brush out his coat. He doesn't stink.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

As little as possible...
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

labby is offline Senior Member

Never.

Laura

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Tootsie is 7 we have had her for 4 years and she has never had a bath with us, she did in rescue because of the skin lesions, and poor coat. Bailey has had maybe 2 since his rescue at 4 months and his baths were when he was under two years of age he is now 6, Coleman is 9 we have had him for 5 yrs and has only had one bath in the time we have had him. Sarah is 7 months and hasn't had a bath. I usually just wipe down and brush as has already been suggested.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast