I am at a loss-a little long
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am at a loss-a little long

Hudsons mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultI am at a loss-a little long

I previously posted about Hudson's bloating and gas. We bought the elevated food bowl and that has helped. We dont feed him an hour before/after he exercises. He gets fed twice a day and I break up his feedings into 5-10 minute increments. I have also tried adding an object to his bowl to slow him down. We are still having the problem with gas, bloating, and I forgot burping. I realize this is probably all from him eating his food in darn near one gulp and I don't know what else to do. The man at the pet store told me to add some water to his food. Did that last night and I think he ate it faster than when it was dry. We are trying to find a different food from Canidae ALS. His coat seems kind of dull. We are trying WolfKing, but the kibbles are so big I am wondering if this has anything to do with bloating? I am just looking for anything that we haven't tried to help the poor guy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am at a loss-a little long

I'm sure you don't mean "bloat" as in the medical condition that requires surgery to save the dog's life but rather being gaseous.

Some people put an object (rock or inedible obstacle) in the food bowl with the food to slow down their dog's gulping.

My guess -- maybe wrong -- is that your Lab is not only gulping down food but, with each gulp, also a lot of air.

Labs vary between being dainty or picky eaters (VERY rare) and being gluttons with few or no limits on how much they'd eat (QUITE common). It sounds like yours is closer to the usual variety but maybe even more extreme.

I'm sure there are a number of JL members who've dealt with this before and can give you some suggestions.

It would help us to know your Lab's age, his current weight, and how many cups a day you're feeding. And any other food, drinks, treats your Lab receives.

In the meantime, the only thing I can think of is for you to take advantage of the high food drive and harness it by going to a NILIF (nothing in life is free) training and feeding schedule.

In this, you measure out the usual amount of dog food for a meal but feed it to your Lab from your hand, just a few kibbles at a time. BUT FIRST, in order to get each offering of food, your Lab must obey a command such as Sit, Down, Stand, Stay, Come, Leave it, etc., etc. It slows down the feeding process somewhat but, GOLLY, is it a quick and effective way of training.

If you somewhat cup your hand, you may find that forces your Lab to put his mouth into a different position so that gulping air doesn't orccur or is much reduced.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Hudson is fed two cups twice a day. He is 18 months old and weighs about 90 pounds. He is a big boy (tall), not overweight at all. He also receives rawhids occasionally and 1-2 small Wellness bars a day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

There is a bowl that someone posted that helps with dogs eating too fast...it looked really great.

There are thousands of labs out there that eat as fast as yours does...

My dog usually gives a big burp about 2-3 minutes after he eats as well and is a quick eater, but not the quickest - about 50 seconds for a meal. He will also lay the occasional smelly fart...but never gets bloaty (we are not talking about "GDV - Bloat").

You could try giving a pepcid or a chewable Maalox PLus about an hour before eating, that may help with the gas/bloating...

Can you post a picture of your dog - 90lbs is big...How often do you give the rawhides? Maybe stop them for two weeks - that can upset the stomach in some dogs.

As you mentioned, small meals are better than large ones, but I don't think a raised bowl would do much of anything...

When the dog eats, don't stress about it, just let the dog eat, but to slow it down, you can order one of the bowls I mentioned above - someone will hopefully post the link or do a search here.

Yes 90 pounds is big, but he is thin, just tall like I said. I will try to post a picture later. He only gets rawhides maybe once every two weeks and they are the 5 inch ones. So he is not getting that much rawhid. I just hate to see the guys stomach expand each night after eating. Is gas-x okay to give to dogs?

Yes...chewable gas-x with maalox is fine for dogs. I personally would not want my dog on it for his life, but for a few weeks, it would be fine to see if it helps.

Anything with simethicone is fine....

Have you tried canned food only?

I agree, its not the rawhide.

I was just looking at some Merrick canned food online today. I was thinking about mixing this with the dry? Maybe like half/half??? I really don't want to get completely away from the dry food.

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Some bloat studies say not to raise the bowl. Also chewable tablets aren't really much benefit unless the dog actually chews the tablet.
    <br />Oregon

TimC. is offline Senior Member

You could try spreading out the feeding schedule by adding one or two more meals. No extra food just feeding more often. I feed Oona four times a day, her last feeding is right before we go to bed. I know of people that have Great Dane's that feed them 6 times a day, and they have never had problems with bloat.
    Olie

That is not true....it will still disolve if swolled whole, it will just take longer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast