ACL Surgery recovery
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACL Surgery recovery

imported_Nate is offline Member

DefaultACL Surgery recovery

hello again all.
    I just did a search on the ACL surgery and found some great info, however i could not find anything on recovery time. My black lab Jake had this surgery on 12-14-06 and appears to be back to normal, only really favoring his leg after sleeping or when the temp drops.
    Here is my problem. I went by the local dog shelter this weekend to volunteer and play with the dogs becuase jake is on the injured reserve list, and there was an 11 month old black lab named Shadow that just begged me to bring him home. Now i have a puppy that wants to play and a 3 year old that is supposed to be on light duty. I have spoke with the vet and he told they can interact, just not to let jake get to wound up.
    Has anyone here had this issue? how long did it take your dog to recover from the surgery, and did your dog get back to 100% ever? You can tell jake really misses playing with his ball, and he really wants to run and play with the new dog. I'm just afraid of jake hurting himself again and having to go through the whole nightmare of surgery again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ACL Surgery recovery

better safe than sorry, I would wait the full recovery time and yes they can be back to normal. 6 weeks is too early to tell anything yet...double it and you will see...

SandieF Guest

Frodo has his ACL surgury on October 2. He just this week got the all clear from the Vet. I took him back for xrays 8 weeks after the operation and they said he was about 3/4 of the way healed. This past Tuesday he went back for another round of xrays and tests. He is now 100%. His stamina needs working on because he was under strict limitations for 4 months. We will now gradually increase his outdoor activities for the next 4 weeks. He should be able to go back to daycare in March.

6 weeks isn't nearly long enough for a good heal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the replys, for those of you with 2 dogs, how did you keep them from playing and horsing around?

SandieF Guest

They were allowed no interaction at all. Shelby stayed upstairs and Frodo stayed downstairs with hubby. Shelby has since been rehomed because she bit the cat, but she was there for the first 8 weeks after, and her and Frodo had no contact whatsoever. I often wonder if that's why she bit the cat. IMHO, now is not the right time to bring home a new animal.

OOPS, I didn't realize you brought the pup home...Congrats ;D, just do your best to keep them apart for awhile.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I sat up a big x-pen in my kitchen

I certainly would not allow any play! Ask yourself if you really want to put yourself and your dog through another surgery??
    The vet should have given you a recovery time but remember that is just estimated. I was told 2-3 months and that it could be 4-6 months before she was her old self.

To keep her busy we froze about 4 giant black Kongs and rotated them. We stuffed them all with mashed banana, kibble, carrots, peanut butter...you name it! It was stuffed in there. Femur bones to chew on. I also played little games with her in the x-pen to keep her mind busy. Sometimes, I just laid in there with here.

My girl never fully recovered but that was not due to just this surgery. She has a mess of other problems.
    Kim

SandieF Guest

I like the x-pens. Frodo tho just considers them something to push in order to get out. I have never been able to keep hiim in it so I gave it away.

i think maybe Jakes surgery wasnt that bad, he never had a full cast on his leg, just a bandage, and we just got back from the vets. They told me interaction is ok, however no rough play, and to only allow them to play in moderation. He said we have to ease Jake into playing again and he will not be the same as he was before. He told me the full recovery time is 25 weeks, but Jake was doing very well and he expects him to be fully recovered in another 6 weeks.

any feedback on this? Im really wondering why your dog has that full cast on his leg. Jake just had a bandage over his knee covering the staple and had to wear a collar that didnt allow him to lick it until the staples came out, then he was allowed to lick all he wanted.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

That was actually a soft cast it is not a real cast. Just heavily bandaged. Some come home like that, some don't. I think it is a Vet preference.
    The surgery did not work the first time - vet should have used a heavier suture. So the second time she came home there was no cast BUT she should have been! She was just bandaged. I kept it bandaged well until they were to come out because it was pretty rough after having her leg ripped into twice.
    I took my showers in about 2 minutes back then so I could keep an eye on her. The day before I was to remove them I did my mini-shower. Poked my head out and she took the bandage off and removed some sutures!
    That soft cast was a pain in the butt though. I think that big thing was only on her a week.

The whole ordeal for me was a nightmare but I started out with an unheathly dog.
    Kim

im sorry, that really sucks. take kept trying to take the collar off and looked like he was on death row everytime we put him in his crate. eventually he would just go in there on his own and sleep all day. now he knows his leg is feeling better and wants to play really bad. i just let the dogs interact for a few minutes and they were nice to each other. both layed on the ground and looked like they were making out. Jakes back in his crate right now becuase its just not worth risking it, i really dont wanna put him through that hell again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast