Question about dogfood and corn

Thread: Question about dogfood and corn

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

DefaultQuestion about dogfood and corn

I have been feeding murphy Iams Eukanuba since I got him, on reccomendation from the breeder. The teacher in puppy kindergarten was telling me to check the ingrediants, and how corn is easily broken down into sugar. In the Eukanuba corn meal is the second ingredient. She says I could notice a difference in his behavior if I eliminate corn from his diet. What are your opinions on it? He gets so excited when other people are around, that he pays no mind to my commands. Could this be helped simply by removing corn from his diet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about dogfood and corn

The best thing you can do to get your pup to listen to you will be to continue with the obedience lessons, just like you're doing.

That said, we fed Larry Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach (which is higher quality than Eukanuba) for months, then switched to Nature's Variety (an all natural kibble) in the fall. We were SHOCKED at the attitude change that he had. Although we don't have any concrete evidence, we feel sure it is due to the food change.

Dogs cannot process corn and wheat like we can. Thus, these items basically serve as a filler, and sometimes result in food allergies in many dogs. These allergies generally manifest as skin conditions (itchiness, etc), funky/dirty ears, and in foot chewing.

The rule of thumb I've been taught is to avoid kibbles that are sold in Wal-Mart or the grocery store. Eagle Pack, Nature's Variety, Innova, Wellness, and Timberwolf are just a FEW of many many excellent dog foods.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Your not entirely right here. Corn is not a filler, nor is it the demon cause of allergies.
    Corn is easily digested in ground form.

Nothing wrong with kibble purchased in Wal-Mart either. There are some decent foods sold there now that I would feed sooner than some high dollar dog foods.

If a dog food works. Leave things alone. My biggest concern is that the food meet AAFCO standards, have the proper prot/fat/fiber/ect. I desire for my dogs and that it have no harmful preservatives.

Educate yourself.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/the_corn_myth.htm

http://www.beowulfs.com/magazine/corn.htm

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

Thanks for the info! There really is no problem with the food that shows on him, he just acts like a crazy puppy. Sometimes it gets frustrating because when noone is around he will listen to me, but once somone else is there he is done paying atention to me. I am sure more training will help, but I thought he would at least listen to me a little bit with distractions around, the teacher telling me that I thought that maybe he would calm down with no corn in his food.

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Good links. I had heard recently about the "corn myth" on the Great Dane Lady's site, but hadn't looked at it. Thank you for correcting me.

To be more clear- in saying that it's best to avoid grocery store/Wal-Mart type foods I'm more specifically referring to Ol' Roy, Alpo, Kibbles n' Bits, and so on. Again, sorry for the confusion. The point I was trying to make (and did so badly) was that a more holistic, all-natural food with fewer preservatives may have an impact on your pup's behavior.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

glad you guys got that all cleared up. However I think the point was missed when Evo9 mentioned that corn was the second ingredient. Thats not necessarily the best line up for corn. I do agree that corn is not the enemy ingredient but you may want to look for a food that has more nutritional value as the second ingredient such as another meat, etc. As far as eliminating corn in your dogs diet to make him behave better... not exactly. Patience, time and discipline will make your dog behave better. I think what the teacher means is that a healthier diet will make for a happier dog.
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I think you're all right. Corn is not automatically a bad ingredient. Yes, carbs are complex sugars, so they can be (and will) broken down into simple sugars. A quick review of biochemistry will also reveal that dogs are great at metabolizing proteins...how do they do it? They piss 'em out or convert them to sugar (a bit of an oversimplification). I do get a bit cautious if corn is one of the major ingredients just because I'd prefer the diet to be meat based. However, if your dog is doing well on Eukanuba (and many dogs do), I'd have no problem with continuing with that food.

It's easy to blame anything you want for hyperness when you have a puppy...they're naturally energetic. Figuring out how to harness that energy is the $65,000 question - and it really varies from dog-to-dog.