How long to stick with food?

Thread: How long to stick with food?

Fletchs Pop is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow long to stick with food?

I have a 10 week old pup. When we picked him up he had very soft stool. The vet gave us some antibiotics and it got better. Never hard but soft stool.

For two weeks we gradually took him off Diamond Puppy (which we can't get in our area) and moved him over to Cali Natural C & R. He has been on Cali Nat. for about 10 days now. He has never had a truly solid stool (not on diamond or cali) and last night he had diarrhea.

He had a second vet visit last weekend. They sent away his stool for more scrutineous tests and it came back fine.

My question is how long should I stick with this food before trying something new?
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you donít need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How long to stick with food?

How much are you feeding? How confident are you with your vet? I had a vet tell me my puppy didn't have ghiardia when she did (I knew from the tell tale poop, it's very distinctive...). Not saying the tests were't right, but if your puppy has diarrhea from the food it was on at the breeders AND a new kind, he's either eating too much or the vet isn't properly diagnosing.

Did the pup have firm stools at the breeders?

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Amazing you cannot find Diamond. I have yet to not find it anywhere.
    Cal Nat was too much for my dogs tummy way back when I used it. So was Innova.
    ProPlan, Purina One, Eukanuba or Iams are redily available just about anywhere.

The loose stool when you picked the pup up could be giardia, could have just been stress from the change.

I have actually had problems with a really firm poo on Euk LB puppy even though my last two were weaned on it. So I fed Professional Pet Food Large Breed Chicken & Rice (a Diamond manufactured food).

But if he was fine for 10 days, and happened again? You might want to keep running a fecal, treat for giardia. I could just be stress? Sometimes just the switch over can cause this as well. So hard to tell.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, he's never had firm stool. He's had soft but proper shaped stool.

I searched for Diamond Puppy everywhere in the DC area and no one had it. They kept siting a recall that happened a year back or so?

Maybe I'll try the Kirkland C + R. I just don't want to switch again if it's uneccesary.
    I work on the theory that if you can train a killer whale to launch itself out of a swimming pool, roll on its side and urinate into a small plastic cup, given only a whistle and a bucket of fish, without a choke chain, then you donít need those confrontational techniques with dogs. -Dr. Dodman

ThatsMyGirl Guest

How much of the CN are you feeding? Overfeeding can cause loose stools.

CN Puppy is pretty high in calories -- in fact there's about 100 calories more per cup than Diamond LB puppy. Could be that he's getting more than necessary and that's leading to less-than-well-formed stools.

Thanks for the suggestions. I give him less than what is recommended on the CN bag. He's about 12 lbs and 10 weeks old. They recommend 2 1/4 cups and he gets about 2 cups.

After doing some research last night, I found that Giardia can be seen by a fecal test but usually you have to use a special dye and even then it can often not show up in about 1 in 3 tests. I called my vet and am waiting for a call back to ask whether the test was administered with dye and whether another test would be appropriate.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Here's the Diamond dealer locator:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

Anyone who cites the food recall of a couple years ago -- which, BTW -- involved NO Diamond label products, maybe a competitor and trying to switch you to brands that source sells.

Diamond Naturals LB puppy food is an excellent food. So is Kirkland (made by the same company that makes Diamond) but I don't think Kirkland is available in a LBP formula.

About a year ago, the Diamond brand divided into a "Diamond" (a lower end, cheaper, now with corn) and a "Diamond Naturals" (higher end, slightly more expensive, no corn). Their "Naturals" is similar to the Kirkland product sold only in Costco.

You might call the Diamond people if you do not get the "Dealer Locator" to work for you and ask them to send you a list of dealers in the DC area.

I just tried DC, MD, and VA and got no response. Then I tried KS where I know there are dozens and got the same blank response. So something isn't working with the link for me.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob, I have a Costco by me and have contimplated going that route. My only concern is he just got switched to CN.

I spoke with the vet and she said he could go back on the antibiotic, metra-something or other for a longer period. The other option is put him on a bland science diet for a couple days then switch food. I'm going to try and switch to kirkland brand after a couple days on the science diet and if that doesn't work go for more antibiotics. I don't want to fill him with Antibiotics all the time.