Fish oil questions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil questions...

ALuv4Labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultFish oil questions...

I have been looking to start Grace and Jake on the fish oil for a while now and have a few quick questions about it...(1) Can you give them the "human" version that you'd find at Walmart, drug stores, etc. or does it have to be specifically for dogs? (2) If you can give the human gelcap form, what dosage? (3) How much how often? (4) Just give them the gelcap as you would a pill, or break it open over food? Anything else I'd need to think about? Thanks a ton!

Oh and should it be just the Omega-3 if it's the human form, or the Omega-3 and 6?
    [size=12pt]Ashley[/size]<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fish oil questions...

I give fish oil to my little guy; cocker/shizu mix. I just toss it in with his food although I've heard some say they pierce it first. And yes, I use the Costco human version.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I give Brigetta the human version in softgels. I've gotten some from WalMart and Target, just depending where I was at the time. Right now the bottle I have is 1000 mg omega 3, I think the bottle I had before was 1200 mg. I just throw the pill in with her food and she eats it. My sister's dog won't eat the pill so she breaks it open.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ALuv4Labs is offline Senior Member

Wonderful, thanks! I have some of the 1000mg Omega-3 and 6. I'm not giving them any until I find out about the 3/6 thing.
    [size=12pt]Ashley[/size]<br /><br />

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I give mine IFEX (salmon oil), and Cold Water Fish oil from www.urbancarnivore.com. Good sources of supplements is also www.botanicaldog.com, www.animalessentials.com, www.animalrearing.com
    If you give the human version, make sure you poke and squeeze the pill before giving it to him/her. I squeeze her Vitamin E on some veggies and fruit she gets. Their diggesting tract is very short, so if you squeeze it, you are making sure that she will be able to use the oil before it leaves her body. I would also consider feeding some real fish - check our Raw/Hollistic section.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Many of us over the years have wondered the same thing. How much and how often.
    In one post someone said they gave can of fish in natural oil and this takes the guess work out.

I give it 3-4 times a week. I usually can tell by Ernies coat. If it is getting a bit dull I feed 3-4. Otherwise I feed 2-3 a week. I buy a bigger tin of mackrel/sardines in natural oil and this lasts 2 meals.

Human fish oil tablets are o.k.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    Many of us over the years have wondered the same thing. How much and how often.
    In one post someone said they gave can of fish in natural oil and this takes the guess work out.

I give it 3-4 times a week. I usually can tell by Ernies coat. If it is getting a bit dull I feed 3-4. Otherwise I feed 2-3 a week. I buy a bigger tin of mackrel/sardines in natural oil and this lasts 2 meals.

Human fish oil tablets are o.k.

What a kitchen helper you have :P I also don't feed fish oil every day. I have not been able to find mackrel or sardines in natural oil as of yet.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

What food do you have them on, Ashley? If your kibble has a sufficient amount of Omega 3s to it, then you shouldn't have to worry about supplementing. It's apparently possible to over-supplement and create an unbalance. Hence, due to the food Larry is on, we no longer have to supplement with Omega 3s.

We do give him canned salmon for dinner once every week or two, though, FWIW.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

I would not rely on glucosamine in dog food and I also would not rely on the fish oils in it.

If the food has fish, that is great, but if it is supplemented with it, I would not rely on it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I use any fish with natural oil. As I live in N.Z. the types and brands will be different to the U.S.A.
    As long as it is natural oil .

My kitchen helper.Hard to find good help these days. Yes helps himself to whatever is on the bench.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast